Realistic monarchical restorations which didn't happen in real life

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Yeah, there was really no chance of a monarchy restoration in Serbia in the 90s. Serbia today still has a monarchist movement that is even organized into a political party. They have also issued Kingdom of Serbia passports.

Back on topic, Brazil. Pedro II was still popular at the time of his overthrow.

Reactions: Futurist

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Interesting. BTW, do you think that Salazar was ever actually seriously flirting with restoring the monarchy?
No. I don’t think so, and from what I recall from one of his biographies, written by a close person/supporter (Franco Nogueira), No. I think he partially deceived them.

But I don’t think that is not a truly consensual theme, even in the academia.

NOTE: About Paiva Couceiro for (my) reference:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, there was really no chance of a monarchy restoration in Serbia in the 90s. Serbia today still has a monarchist movement that is even organized into a political party. They have also issued Kingdom of Serbia passports.
Their presence in the Serbian parliament is minuscule nowadays, no?

He died just two years after his overthrow, so if anyone is going to benefit from a restoration, it's likely going to be his daughter Isabel and her husband Gaston d'Orleans, Count of Eu. In this scenario, Gaston's renunciation of his rights to the (defunct) French throne wouldn't actually be in vain since he'll become Emperor of Brazil.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
No. I don’t think so, and from what I recall from one of his biographies, written by a close person/supporter (Franco Nogueira), No. I think he partially deceived them.

But I don’t think that is not a truly consensual theme, even in the academia.
Can Salazar's deceit be viewed as comparable to Hitler's deceit in giving German monarchists false hopes that there'll be a Hohenzollern restoration in Germany if/after he would have come to power in Germany?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Can Salazar's deceit be viewed as comparable to Hitler's deceit in giving German monarchists false hopes that there'll be a Hohenzollern restoration in Germany if/after he would have come to power in Germany?
I don’t know in detail the situation in Germany, and the expectative of the monarchists there with Hitler or Hitler positions about the theme.

But, in my ignorance, I would classify more easily Salazar as monarchist than Hitler.

Salazar was a catholic conservative/traditionalist on a catholic country that recently had changed from a monarchy to a republic.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I don’t know in detail the situation in Germany, and the expectative of the monarchists there with Hitler or Hitler positions about the theme.

But, in my ignorance, I would classify more easily Salazar as monarchist than Hitler.

Salazar was a catholic conservative/traditionalist on a catholic country that recently had changed from a monarchy to a republic.
Hitler held the position of head of state as well as head of government. Salazar was prime minister originally appointed by President Carmona. He remained a PM under a republic over his entire dictatorial rule AFAIK. Hitler had the position of an absolute monarch without the title. The Kaiser, who died in 1941, may have thought Hitler would allow him to return to Germany, but it never happened.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
Hitler held the position of head of state as well as head of government. Salazar was prime minister originally appointed by President Carmona. He remained a PM under a republic over his entire dictatorial rule AFAIK. Hitler had the position of an absolute monarch without the title. The Kaiser, who died in 1941, may have thought Hitler would allow him to return to Germany, but it never happened.
Yo Hitler and the Nazis, the kaiser was a symbol of the old world and of failure.

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil

Thanks for mentioning,
in 1993 happened a constitutional referendum in Brazil, about what form of government to be implanted in Brazil, one of the options was the return
of the monarchy, which created a movement Parliamentary Monarchist Movement, although they lost, they managed to receive 6 million votes, very impressive
because in 1993 more than a hundred years had passed to the fall of the monarchy, even today the Monarchist movement make some noise sometimes.