Realistic monarchical restorations which didn't happen in real life

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hitler held the position of head of state as well as head of government. Salazar was prime minister originally appointed by President Carmona. He remained a PM under a republic over his entire dictatorial rule AFAIK. Hitler had the position of an absolute monarch without the title. The Kaiser, who died in 1941, may have thought Hitler would allow him to return to Germany, but it never happened.
Yo Hitler and the Nazis, the kaiser was a symbol of the old world and of failure.
Yeah, I suspect that Hitler believed that Germany only had room for one top dog. Steve is correct that Hitler was essentially a German Kaiser in everything but name, though. Sort of like how Stalin was a Red Tsar in everything but name and the fact that he didn't pass his "throne" to a family member of his like the historical Russian Tsars did. Some dictatorships actually are passed down to family members after one's death, though; for instance, Syria and North Korea.

Thanks for mentioning,
in 1993 happened a constitutional referendum in Brazil, about what form of government to be implanted in Brazil, one of the options was the return
of the monarchy, which created a movement Parliamentary Monarchist Movement, although they lost, they managed to receive 6 million votes, very impressive
because in 1993 more than a hundred years had passed to the fall of the monarchy, even today the Monarchist movement make some noise sometimes.
Yeah, I've heard about that. I think that it was a decent move to allow the referendum over 100 years later since the original 1889 Brazilian coup d'etat wasn't actually followed by any referendum.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Hitler held the position of head of state as well as head of government. Salazar was prime minister originally appointed by President Carmona. He remained a PM under a republic over his entire dictatorial rule AFAIK. Hitler had the position of an absolute monarch without the title. The Kaiser, who died in 1941, may have thought Hitler would allow him to return to Germany, but it never happened.
Yes, but what I don’t know, as I said, were the details, such as: Did ever Hitler wrote, declared or Implied to the German monarchists that the future of Germany would pass again for a monarchy? Restabilising a Kaiser (not necessarily Wilhelm II, or his Kronprinz)? Not that I know, but I don’t have that idea.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yes, but what I don’t know, as I said, were the details, such as: Did ever Hitler wrote, declared or Implied to the German monarchists that the future of Germany would pass again for a monarchy? Restabilising a Kaiser (not necessarily Wilhelm II, or his Kronprinz)? Not that I know, but I don’t have that idea.
I'm actually unsure, but Time Magazine actually does appear to have such an impression of Hitler back in 1923:

Reactions: stevev

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
Yeah, I suspect that Hitler believed that Germany only had room for one top dog. Steve is correct that Hitler was essentially a German Kaiser in everything but name, though. Sort of like how Stalin was a Red Tsar in everything but name and the fact that he didn't pass his "throne" to a family member of his like the historical Russian Tsars did. Some dictatorships actually are passed down to family members after one's death, though; for instance, Syria and North Korea.

Yeah, I've heard about that. I think that it was a decent move to allow the referendum over 100 years later since the original 1889 Brazilian coup d'etat wasn't actually followed by any referendum.
Hitler was a revolutionary to start with and wrote a criticism of Imperial Germany in "Mein Kampf"

"If the Kaiser had ever read ‘Mein Kampf’ he might have known that Hitler was no friend of the old reich. He stated quite clearly that his intention was a racial state rather than a restored monarchy and that he had nothing but contempt for the Kaiser, blaming him for the mistakes of World War I ..."

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Check out what Hitler wrote about Imperial Germany in "Mein Kampf"
Apparently Time didn’t. But the book was published after that magazine.

I never fully read the book, just parts, but he was much more critical to the Austro-Hungarian empire, wasn’t it?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Interesting. Is the magazine avaiable online? Didn't find it. We just can see a bit of the article?
It is fully available for me on Google Books. Anyway, I'll directly quote the relevant paragraph in this article:

"Herr Hitler. Adolph Hitler is an Austrian who came into prominence after the murder of the Bolshevik Kurt Eisner in 1919. Since then his power has steadily been increasing, owing principally to the solid support he has received from the enigmatic General von Ludendorff. His principal role is that of Commander of the Hitler Guards or Bavarian Fascisti, a body apparently formed to take the place of Kahr's Einwohnerwehr in fighting the Bolsheviki, but in reality to forward the Monarchist cause. Politically Hitler believes in the restoration of the head of the Hohenzollern dynasty as King of Prussia and Emperor of Germany, of the Wittelsback dynasty as King of Bavaria. He is Anti-Secessionist, but wants Austria incorporated into the German Reich and a close alliance made with Hungary. Although Hitler has backed down in the face of the opposition shown him by Dr. von Kahr, he will continue to be a force to be reckoned with in Bavaria, because his military and political organization is said to be perfect. An agreement with von Kahr is by no means unlikely."

Reactions: Tulius