Realistic monarchical restorations which didn't happen in real life

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
It is fully available for me on Google Books. Anyway, I'll directly quote the relevant paragraph in this article:

"Herr Hitler. Adolph Hitler is an Austrian who came into prominence after the murder of the Bolshevik Kurt Eisner in 1919. Since then his power has steadily been increasing, owing principally to the solid support he has received from the enigmatic General von Ludendorff. His principal role is that of Commander of the Hitler Guards or Bavarian Fascisti, a body apparently formed to take the place of Kahr's Einwohnerwehr in fighting the Bolsheviki, but in reality to forward the Monarchist cause. Politically Hitler believes in the restoration of the head of the Hohenzollern dynasty as King of Prussia and Emperor of Germany, of the Wittelsback dynasty as King of Bavaria. He is Anti-Secessionist, but wants Austria incorporated into the German Reich and a close alliance made with Hungary. Although Hitler has backed down in the face of the opposition shown him by Dr. von Kahr, he will continue to be a force to be reckoned with in Bavaria, because his military and political organization is said to be perfect. An agreement with von Kahr is by no means unlikely."
Thanks.

Reactions: Futurist
May 2018
Michigan
There has to be a reason for people to want a monarch vs a western democracy (or some type of representative system). The question becomes: how did absolute monarchs come to be in the first place? Probably out of successful barbarian/warrior kings who could be relied upon to prevent enemy tribes from enslaving them and keep enough domestic order within the tribe to be acceptable.

If we are talking monarchs in general (particularly if we are talking bringing back a monarch with no real power, but for reasons of nationalist unity or whatever), that becomes more possible.

I could see a dictator taking power in a country and then claiming some ancient right to authority to legitimize their rule, maybe even marrying someone from an old royal line.

But a return to practical absolute monarchy in both name and practice, I seriously doubt it. There would have to be very strong cultural reasons (like the Japanese and the Emperor or the British Royal Family) coupled with a particularly charismatic heir apparent and a sellable reason as to why this is a better idea than democracy. Or have enough power and a few enough enemies and simply do it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There has to be a reason for people to want a monarch vs a western democracy (or some type of representative system). The question becomes: how did absolute monarchs come to be in the first place? Probably out of successful barbarian/warrior kings who could be relied upon to prevent enemy tribes from enslaving them and keep enough domestic order within the tribe to be acceptable.

If we are talking monarchs in general (particularly if we are talking bringing back a monarch with no real power, but for reasons of nationalist unity or whatever), that becomes more possible.

I could see a dictator taking power in a country and then claiming some ancient right to authority to legitimize their rule, maybe even marrying someone from an old royal line.

But a return to practical absolute monarchy in both name and practice, I seriously doubt it. There would have to be very strong cultural reasons (like the Japanese and the Emperor or the British Royal Family) coupled with a particularly charismatic heir apparent and a sellable reason as to why this is a better idea than democracy. Or have enough power and a few enough enemies and simply do it.
I wasn't necessarily talking about an absolute monarchy here, though; rather, a figurehead monarch would work just as well.

Reactions: frogsofwar

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Eh, I wouldn't say the people as a whole wanted democracy. The idea of a representive system was mostly propagated by those elements of society that would have profited from it, namely the richer groups that were not part of the old feudal aristocracies. I don't think the peasants really wanted democracy, in fact even today rural people tend to be more conservative and susceptible to cheap populism.

May 2019
Earth
If this rebellion had been successful, maybe there could have been a restoration of the Bogd Khanate: 1932 armed uprising in Mongolia - Wikipedia
Don't know how long it could have lasted though if it had happened, unless a country like Japan moved in to protect them from Soviet and Mongolian Communist counter-attack. Imo the only realistic way the rebellion itself could even have succeeded, much less a monarchical restoration, is if the rebels had support from a powerful third party. As it was, they were heavily outgunned by the Communists.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Eh, I wouldn't say the people as a whole wanted democracy. The idea of a representive system was mostly propagated by those elements of society that would have profited from it, namely the richer groups that were not part of the old feudal aristocracies. I don't think the peasants really wanted democracy, in fact even today rural people tend to be more conservative and susceptible to cheap populism.
You need democracy in order to put populists into power, no?

Feb 2019
Serbia
Maybe Russia if the Whites win the civil war.

Montenegro if they break away from Yugoslavia early on.

Yugoslavia if the Partisans lose the civil war.

Brazil, Pedro II was rather popular at the time of his overthrow.