Really successful expansion plus settler colonialism

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
One thing that I really like about U.S. history is the U.S.'s territorial expansion and the massive movement of its population from the East to the West. I did some number crunching (with the help of U.S. Census Bureau data) and I discovered that around 43% of Non-Hispanic White Americans currently live in territories which the U.S. acquired in either 1803 or later:

Considering that the territories which the U.S. acquired in 1803 or later had almost no Non-Hispanic Whites back in 1803 (with the partial exception of Louisiana), this indicates that an extremely massive migration of Non-Hispanic Whites occurred over the last 220 years from the eastern U.S. to the western U.S.

In turn, this motivated me to ask this question--could there have been any other realistic cases where a country could have acquired an extremely massive amount of territory after 1800 (or after 1750, or after 1700), annexed this territory, and had almost half of the population of its main ethnic group (or ethnic groups) move to these newly acquired territories?

For instance, could almost half of all ethnic Russians have moved to the territories that Russia acquired after, say, 1700? If so, how exactly would one have accomplished this?

Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
South Africa. The Trekboers left the Cape en masse for the Transvaal.

1546431976735.png

I don't think that any census data exits for the area outside of the Cape until the first Union of South Africa census in 1911. I can't provide evidence that this meets your "almost half of it's main ethnic group" criteria. Whites were and remain an ethnic minority in southern Africa as a whole; however, not in the Cape. In terms of a country, a geographically defined political unit, this trek led to the Union and later Republic of South Africa. The Afrikaans were a minority within that white minority but the lands that they acquired are presently the most densely populated. Not exactly a mirror image of US expansion, but a case of "Really successful expansion plus settler colonialism."

Nov 2010
Cornwall
One thing that I really like about U.S. history is the U.S.'s territorial expansion and the massive movement of its population from the East to the West. I did some number crunching (with the help of U.S. Census Bureau data) and I discovered that around 43% of Non-Hispanic White Americans currently live in territories which the U.S. acquired in either 1803 or later:
Sorry but is a figure of that order not blindingly obvious given the history of the territory?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Some reasons it didn't happen in Russia - serfdom kept most of the Russian population from migrating, the climate made most of Siberia inhospitable, the native populations of Siberia were larger and more resistant to invasion and conquest (especially disease-wise) than were Native Americans.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Sorry but is a figure of that order not blindingly obvious given the history of the territory?
Are you saying that it was unsurprising that so many Non-Hispanic White Americans moved west given the extremely low population density west of the Mississippi River in 1800?

I just want to clarify this since I'm not completely sure what your point here is.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Some reasons it didn't happen in Russia - serfdom kept most of the Russian population from migrating, the climate made most of Siberia inhospitable, the native populations of Siberia were larger and more resistant to invasion and conquest (especially disease-wise) than were Native Americans.
Serfdom was abolished in 1861 and there are also Central Asia and the Caucasus.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Are you saying that it was unsurprising that so many Non-Hispanic White Americans moved west given the extremely low population density west of the Mississippi River in 1800?

I just want to clarify this since I'm not completely sure what your point here is.

I wonder if Mr. Cornwall has seen the American West in person?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Well, USA is not an ethinicity at all... and it was possible the expansion because the massive inmigration to USA from Europe mostly from German, Austro-Hungarian and Russian Empires but also from Ottoman Empire, Italy, Nordic countries, Ireland and Britain...

Similar History Discussions