Rebuilding the Notre Dame Spire: Proposed New Desings

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Macron has apparently said that the rebuilding should reflect the diversity of French society. Just think about that for a moment. Imagine that this (at Lincoln) has had a serious fire damaging the towers:

main-lincoln.jpg

and politicians come forward to say that the rebuilding should reflect the diversity of modern British society. The idea is. of course, simply crazy because the value of the building lies in the fact that it is a breathtaking example of the transcendental yearnings of men of the 14th Century. One might as well say that the Parthenon should be rebuilt to express the diverse aspirations of the citizens of modern Athens. Yet there is enough of this madness in to air to affect the way in which Notre Dame will be rebuilt. it is not the purpose of ancient buildings to express the social political values of a later age, if that is all that one can see in them, one might as well knock them down, for what possible value do they have?

Last edited:
Reactions: peccavi and Sindane

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I should just add that fake reports seem to be circulating about Macron's statements in this regard, but such thoughts are very much in the air, with a lot of nonsense being stated about the cathedral expressing the 'spirit of France' and that sort of thing; and as soon as one admits such grossly unhistorical ideas in such a context, there is a real danger that a redesign will be chosen to adapt the building to a modern conception of that supposed spirit.

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Update on Notre Dame:

Over the weekend, the French Senate approved a bill paving the way forward for restoring Notre Dame cathedral, which nearly burned to the ground back in April in a construction fire. There's one caveat, however: the cathedral must be returned to its "last known visual state."
French Senate Defies Macron, Says Notre Dame Should Be Rebuilt Exactly How It Was

IMHO this is the correct position for the French senate to take. It is a national icon and as such should maintain its historical consistency as much as possible.

Mar 2018
UK
For what it's worth, as a French citizen and former Parisian, I don't want something grotesquely (pun intended) modern. But I don't see the point of rebuilding something that looks exactly like what was done in 1860 either.

I want something that looks Gothic, but new. Why shouldn't it be grander and more visually impressive than what was there before? That's precisely the attitude the 19th century construction took, and we all ended up loving that spire. Having one/several beacons of light shining upwards from the top of a new gothic-like spire seems nice to me.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
For what it's worth, as a French citizen and former Parisian, I don't want something grotesquely (pun intended) modern. But I don't see the point of rebuilding something that looks exactly like what was done in 1860 either.

I want something that looks Gothic, but new. Why shouldn't it be grander and more visually impressive than what was there before? That's precisely the attitude the 19th century construction took, and we all ended up loving that spire. Having one/several beacons of light shining upwards from the top of a new gothic-like spire seems nice to me.
The 19th construction at Notre Dame, as with the completion of the Cathedral at Cologne, was historicist in nature, but not constricted by any attempt at slavish imitation. If some of Villet-le-Duc's restorations have a 19th Century feel, that is somehting that we have largely come to appreciate later, he wasn't attempting to innovate or reflect the spirit of his own age. I would agree with you in so far as I don't think that the restoration should be slavishly imitative - especially of 19th Century construction! It shoudl be given freedom to breathe. But I don't like the idea of wholly modern ideas being introduced, because I suspect that they would come to seem dated and incompatible - and even simply embarrassing -at a later period.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
"Designed by......." is what it is all about. Modern architects are notorious ego maniacs.
Well in fairness I imagine that could be said of many people at the top of their profession. You don’t get to the top of a creative profession by blending in.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Update on Notre Dame:

French Senate Defies Macron, Says Notre Dame Should Be Rebuilt Exactly How It Was

IMHO this is the correct position for the French senate to take. It is a national icon and as such should maintain its historical consistency as much as possible.
It remains to be seen what will come out of it (now the two chambers has to meet and agreed/negotiate - the Senate had largely modified the legislatibe proposition).

It's a pity, as there is a lot of politics behind the scene (opposition vs government, etc) and it really shouldn't be about that.