Recent examples of serious aggression by Russia and associated countries

Jan 2015
England
Modern history and current events really aren't my forte, so I wanted a bit of help with this. I am interested in finding out about relatively recent examples of serious aggression by Russia and countries that it has close alliances with. And I'm including China in that category, on the basis of its recent friendliness with Russia, engaging in military exercises with it and cooperating with it in various enterprises.

I'm aware, of course, that Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 and also annexed Crimea. And I'm aware of China's recent efforts to expand into the South Sea (though not exactly through direct military action, as Russia did with Ukraine). But beyond that, my knowledge is very limited. Can anyone provide me with additional examples of Russia, China or any other associated/allied countries making efforts to push into other lands and territories in recent years?

Reactions: Futurist

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
You mean Russia before Crimea and Ukraine?

Georgia, several times. Transnistria. Those would be the pretty darn obvious ones.

What do you rate as serious? Russian airspace incursions, simulated attacks, running research vessels out of international waters, abduction of foreign intelligense operatives putting them on trial in Russia, etc., etc. Then there was the amazing Finnish army and security police raid, where Russian privately owned real estate, located in the proximity of Finnish military installations, was found to have military grade installations of their own on them.

It's less outright invasion Russia's neighbours are leery of, but the clandestine BS Russia pulls on a more regular basis.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Russo-Georgian War in 2008 and the diplomatic situation before it. The situation in Transistria. If Russia's airspace incursions, involvment in foreign countires etc. are considered serious aggression then there is a solid list of those.

Jan 2015
England
You mean Russia before Crimea and Ukraine?
No, not before, but around that time and since.

Georgia, several times. Transnistria. Those would be the pretty darn obvious ones.

What do you rate as serious? Russian airspace incursions, simulated attacks, running research vessels out of international waters, abduction of foreign intelligense operatives putting them on trial in Russia, etc., etc.
Thank you, that's useful. Just to clarify, both for you and the other poster, I'm particularly interested in situations where Russia has physically imposed itself in other countries' territories. So that would exclude cyber-crime, but I suppose incursion of other countries' airspace would qualify. However, I'm especially interested in physical military presence on the ground.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
The most remarkable examples are Crimea and Georgia (2008)

Also Chechnya, part of Russia, declared independence in 1993 and was then crushed by Russian forces in two wars

Russian deployment in Syria was in favour of the government, but it took place when most of the country was in the hands of enemy forces to it

If the issue goes back to USSR, then the list is much longer

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Modern history and current events really aren't my forte, so I wanted a bit of help with this. I am interested in finding out about relatively recent examples of serious aggression by Russia and countries that it has close alliances with. And I'm including China in that category, on the basis of its recent friendliness with Russia, engaging in military exercises with it and cooperating with it in various enterprises.

I'm aware, of course, that Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 and also annexed Crimea. And I'm aware of China's recent efforts to expand into the South Sea (though not exactly through direct military action, as Russia did with Ukraine). But beyond that, my knowledge is very limited. Can anyone provide me with additional examples of Russia, China or any other associated/allied countries making efforts to push into other lands and territories in recent years?
China invaded Vietnam in 1979, no?

Also Chechnya, part of Russia, declared independence in 1993 and was then crushed by Russian forces in two wars

Russian deployment in Syria was in favour of the government, but it took place when most of the country was in the hands of enemy forces to it

The 2008 war was started by Georgia, no?

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Yes, and no.

The critical military actions were started by Georgia, or it was by separatist months before?

Military actions of Georgia took place in sovereign territory of Georgia against a separatist faction

Russia entered the war to protect this faction and claiming also to protect Russian "peacekeepers" stationed in the area

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
No, not before, but around that time and since.

Thank you, that's useful. Just to clarify, both for you and the other poster, I'm particularly interested in situations where Russia has physically imposed itself in other countries' territories. So that would exclude cyber-crime, but I suppose incursion of other countries' airspace would qualify. However, I'm especially interested in physical military presence on the ground.
You had a couple of GRU operatives traipsing around Salisbury behaving in a free and easy manner with a potent neurotoxin. There was a recent hit in Berlin on a former Chechen insurgency leader. The whole spraying people on the wrong side of Moscow with exotic nocive substances is pretty exclusively a Russian speciality. The North Koreans do that kind of thing too, but not really anyone else. Started at least with Yushchenko in Ukraine back when he was running for the presidency, and not Moscow's candidate – dioxin that time:
1570055022602.png

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
China invaded Vietnam in 1979, no?

The 2008 war was started by Georgia, no?
Georgia tried to militarily retake control of contested regions – parts of Georgia, contested by Russia. Russia had started issuing Russin passports of the local population. An aggressive Georgian attempt to force a resolution, not clever in light of subsequent events. But Georgia didn't invade Russia, while Russia invaded Georgia. Considering this all played out inside recognized Georgian borders, whether Georgia started a war with Russia or not would seem to depend entirely on whether one a priori accepts all Russian actions as in good faith. Russia has subsequently declared these regions independent states. Not that they are recognized as such by anyone much aside from Russia.

Jan 2015
England

1993 is rather too far in the past for what I’m interested in, but that’s a really good point about Syria, thank you. Is most of the country now in the hands of the government then?