Recommenced best book about Napoleon Bonaparte

Aug 2014
pakistan
Please recommend any well-referenced book on history of Napoleon Bonaparte, with writing being lucid and engaging.

Mar 2016
Australia
It’s a cliché answer, but Andrew Robert’s Napoleon the Great (or Napoleon: A Life for Americans), which many have called the most definitive, well-researched and entertaining book on Napoleon. Roberts has something of a pro-Napoleon bias, but he doesn’t omit facts, he just tends to justify and give a more sympathetic context to Napoleon’s actions. But every historian is biased in some way, so this is inevitable.

Reactions: Azad67 and Kadi

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
' Napoleon' by Andrew Roberts? I have read only portions on the Amazon site and hence the question mark.

Sep 2016
Georgia
' Napoleon' by Andrew Roberts? I have read only portions on the Amazon site and hence the question mark.
Andrew Roberts has pro-Napoleon bias. Hence why he is advocating to call Napoleon ,, Napoleon the Great ''. Which I don't understand why he even needs it. So, be careful

Mar 2016
Australia
Hence why he is advocating to call Napoleon ,, Napoleon the Great ''. Which I don't understand why he even needs it. So, be careful
Because Anglo historians spent nigh-on two centuries trying to drag Napoleon through the mud and tarnish his legacy by calling him a tyrant and monster and comparing him to Hitler?

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
That's hardly an accurate picture of how Napoleon was been presented by "Anglo" historians in the last two centuries, he has been presented in all kinds of ways. Can you name a single serious historian who has compared him to Hitler?

Sep 2016
Georgia
I've never seen serious historians of that period to compare Napoleon to Hitler. In social media and by general masses, I have seen him to be compared to Hitler sometimes. But you know, they are not historians and most of them don't have serious knowledge and interest of that period.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I wouldn't be surprised indeed to see one or two posters here comparing him to Hitler, but they haven't gained that idea by reading history books! The notion that there is a Napoleon black legend propagated in the "Anglo" historical tradition is a myth, and a stupid myth.