Recommendation on History Books

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Hey there. I'm going to finish reading History: From the Dawn of Civilization to the Present Day by Adam Hart-Davis and found that very interesting. What should I get next? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Depends what you are interested in,, History is vast and the devil in the detail. The the more broad and sweeping a book is, the more it can be misleading or overly simplistic about some things. An Author is not going to know all periods and places in great detail. Personally I much prefer to read a number of books about specfic period and places abd really get down to details. You got sny sepcific period and place you are interested in?

On the Board sweep I would recommend, Jared Diamonds, "Guns, Germs and Steel" while a very board sweep applying a fairly particular lens over the broad sweep of history is subject to all the usual failings of borad sweep books. It's nbot nesscarilty right about everything but I find it provdes a really interesting perspective and a useful alternatrive way at looking at some big picture board sweep stuff.

Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia

Mar 2016
Australia
Depends entirely on which historical periods you're most interested in. I do not find all periods of history to be equally interesting, and mostly just read about ones I do find interesting. Better an in-depth knowledge of a few periods or topics rather than a shallow knowledge of many or all.