Recommended reading for late 19th century warfare in Europe?

Dec 2016
Spain
Hi,

I know this was probably discussed before. I am looking for recommendations regarding books covering warfare, would be amazing if contains battle tactics, formations of european warfare in late 19th century, to make things easier, Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871) and/or Second Schleswig War (1864), even Crimean War (1853–1856). I may have a look but a recommendation from someone that has previously read it would be beneficial.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
You should dig out books on the 1870 Franco-Prussan war where the Prussian 'needle 'rifles clashed with the French Chassepots rifles. Also study the 1870 battle of Sedan in this war for the victorious Prussians tactics at Sedan.
You should also study the 1890's Battle of Adowa where the Abbysinians/Ethopians defeated a modern Italian army.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Just as modern Russia supports the present Syrian regime in Syria the Russians supported the Abbysinians at Adowa against Italy too.
Along with Isandalwahna in 1879 when Zulus kicked British butts in a shocking defeat the Abbysinnian defeat of Italy at Adowa was a massive one with lots of Italian ordnance and troops captured.
Some sources even say that some Italian POWS were castrated by the Abbysinians.
A least these unfortunate newly minted Eytie boy sopranos would probably have found gainful employment singing Castrati in Italian opera companies. in Milan 'It's an ill wind etc...

Dec 2016
Spain
Thank you for your replies Pendennis. I have been searching for books according to your instructions and I find this one that may be interesting and also have very good reviews:

The Franco-Prussian War 1870-71 Volume 1: The Campaign of Sedan. Helmuth von Moltke and the Overthrow of the Second Empire. Quintin Barry. Helion and Company; Reprint edition (15 Sept. 2009).

From the same author, Quintin Barry, I have found this one that looks interesting too:

War in the East: A Military History of the Russo-Turkish War 1877-78. Quintin Barry. Helion and Company; Reprint edition (15 Oct. 2016)

Similar History Discussions