Recommended reading on the Fourth Crusade and aftermath?

May 2019
Earth
I'm interested in finding some reading material that provides a good account of not just the Fourth Crusade but also the subsequent expansion of "Frankokratia" between the end of the crusade until the recapture of Constantinople by the Nicaeans. There looks to be a lot of interesting history there, from the diversion of the Fourth Crusade to Constantinople, to the establishment of the Latin Empire, to the conflict between the new "Frankish" states and their Greek and Bulgarian neighbours. I know parts of "Frankokratia" existed well after the Greeks took back the old capital, but for now I'd like to focus on this period of roughly 1202-1261.

Reactions: Futurist

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
The gold standard for the events of the Fourth Crusade itself remains Madden and Queller's The Fourth Crusade, 2nd ed. It could be criticized for having a slight focus on Venice, but it's extremely thorough and well-documented. For the Byzantine side of things in the immediate aftermath of the crusade, Michael Angold's A Byzantine Government in Exile is a good, well-rounded study of the Empire of Nicaea that focuses on economy and government. It's not the most recent book, but it has yet to be superseded, and subsequent work has borne out its conclusions. Dimiter Angelov has done some excellent work on religion, culture, and politcal thought in Nicaea, and he has a new book on the thinking of Theodore II Laskaris. One of the major Greek sources for the Aegean in this period, the History of Akropolites, is available in English translation by Ruth Macrides. For the Latin Empire, van Tricht's The Latin Renovatio of Byzantium is good; Perry's John of Brienne follows up the story and gives some more detail on the life of one of the Latin emperors. But what it sounds like you're really looking for is Peter Lock's The Franks in the Aegean, 1204-1500.

Reactions: Futurist and hyuzu