Refuting the myth:Why Africa left behind no "civilizations"

Status
Closed
Jan 2016
United States
Not that many empire's contemporary with Songhai were bigger, to be honest. It was bigger than most contemporary European empire's for sure.
There were quite a few bigger - ex. the Ottomans, Timurid, Safavids, Mughals, Ming, Oirats, Malmuks, Chagatai etc. (and of course the Spanish and Portuguese empires).
I think geography played a significant role.

mansamusa

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
There were quite a few bigger - ex. the Ottomans, Timurid, Safavids, Mughals, Ming, Oirats, Malmuks, Chagatai etc. (and of course the Spanish and Portuguese empires).
I think geography played a significant role.
OK. I get your point. But I mean compared to the total number of contemporary states at that time, it was rather big. The empires you mentioned were all extra-ordinary large empires. In particular regards to Europe, the two countries you mentioned were an exception. European states in general were much smaller in comparison to Songhay.

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
OK. I get your point. But I mean compared to the total number of contemporary states at that time, it was rather big. The empires you mentioned were all extra-ordinary large empires. In particular regards to Europe, the two countries you mentioned were an exception. European states in general were much smaller in comparison to Songhay.
Are you comparing European states or European empires with the Songhay? You seem to differ between posts.

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Thanks Son of Ra. Very timely in light of the other threads.

Some years ago, I got interested in African art, and was surprised to find that much African art is quite new--a really old piece dates into the 1920s. While not the only medium, wood was a preferred medium of African artists and it doesn't survive well in the southern African climate. So I can well understand the disappearance of wooden structures.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Son Of RA,

You posted two interesting images in the first post, one of Benin the other of Kongo. Both have the reference “de Stadt” in the top. Could you give us more references? When and by whom where these draws made? The thing is that the words in both sides of the images can’t be read and that, and the lack of context, diminishes the value of the images.

Status
Closed