Reliable Sources on Japan

Isoroku295

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
In the Past
Hello. I am extremely interested in Japanese history, but quite frankly, I only know the basics. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sources on Japanese History that are reliable. I am short on money, so I would prefer if it were online sources, and also, though I am good at learning by watching documenteries, I can never bring myself to watch an entire thing online. so unless it has extremely cool 3-d graphics and the such, and isn't a monotone guy speaking, I would prefer it not be an online video.

Thx in Advance.
N~D

Isoroku295

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
In the Past
Thank you very much ^.^

sadly enough, most of what i know about pre-war Japan comes from a Manga I read called Riouni Kenshin. It may exagerate some stuff, but it has done relatively good with keeping things historical.... but still lol

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Thank you very much ^.^

sadly enough, most of what i know about pre-war Japan comes from a Manga I read called Riouni Kenshin. It may exagerate some stuff, but it has done relatively good with keeping things historical.... but still lol
Try two manga called Lone Wolf and Cub, and Samurai Executioner. Done in the sixties and seventies, and reprinted by Dark Horse comics, they really show huge amounts of culture interwoven with the incredible action.

Isoroku295

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
In the Past
Try two manga called Lone Wolf and Cub, and Samurai Executioner. Done in the sixties and seventies, and reprinted by Dark Horse comics, they really show huge amounts of culture interwoven with the incredible action.
I'll be sure to check those out. If they are manga, I'm sure i can read them lol. American reading (reading forward) or Japanese (reading backwards)?

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I'll be sure to check those out. If they are manga, I'm sure i can read them lol. American reading (reading forward) or Japanese (reading backwards)?
It is reprinted in the American reading style, in english. Any Border's should have a couple of copies, check 'em out.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Try Vagabond then. Starts back to front, and is about Musashi's life.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I will go out of my way to read:

Lone wolf and cub

samurai executioner

blade of the immortal

path of the assassin

shaman warrior

vagabond

and dragonball z:D