Religion and Objective Morality

Robert165

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
North Georgia
Most religious people say objective morality does not exist without god. This leads to criticism of subjective morality and the inability to make laws that govern man properly without religion. The problem is, ok, what religion???? Religious Authority in Saudi Arabia says a woman can not drive a car or have a job. 200 years ago religious authority in America said that black people could be owned as slaves.

So obviously there are some very serious problems when using religion to establish objective morality. Even if god does exist, and if god has an objective morality, the only way to access this is through logic and reason.

Jax

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Seattle
Most religious people say objective morality does not exist without god.
Consider the source. If objective morality exists without the need to believe in a God/Gods then religion becomes unnecessary for that purpose.

Society derives and drives the necessary forms of morality to suit it's current needs.

Robert165

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
North Georgia
Consider the source. If objective morality exists without the need to believe in a God/Gods then religion becomes unnecessary for that purpose.

Society derives and drives the necessary forms of morality to suit it's current needs.
Yes of course but this is really aimed at religious people... not people who agree with me. i'm waiting to see if they have any defense to offer.

Oct 2013
Wisconsin
By definition anything objective exists independently of point of view. Religious morality is therefore necessarily subjective. Religious groups, big and small, claim to be representing the objective truth for one or both of two reasons: 1) A direct line to God carries a perceived authority which most often they claim extends into social and political realms as well as moral ones. 2) Having been taught so by people they love and trust for all their lives and finding a stable moral compass a useful thing, they genuinely believe it.

Nov 2010
Indiana
OK, I'll bite.

What differences are those?
We could start with, Jesus taught that we should not judge others. How many judgmental Christians do you know of. He also said that if people don't want to listen to your message, leave them alone and go somewhere where people want to listen to you.