Religious music from around the world

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Music and religion have walked together for thousands of years, one being a vital part of the other. Religious music has often formed the basis for many other forms of music, for example, European Classical music evolved from the ecclesiastical music of the Renaissance era, gospel music formed the basis of soul music, etc.

I would be curious to listen to contributions from various religions that I'm not familiar with. I will start with my own religious group, Orthodox Christianity and Byzantine hymns and psalms.

This hymn to the Virgin Mary is considered one of the masterpieces of Byzantine liturgical music. It is an Akathist (Ακάθιστος, unseated hymn), where the congregation is expected to remain standing in reverence. This particular one is the par excellence Akathist, composed in the 7th or 6th century AD, and traditionally linked with the deliverance of the City (Constantinople) from the siege laid to it by the Persians and Avars (626 AD). According to the traditional story, the people of Constantinople expressed their gratitude to their saviour, the Virgin Mary, singing this hymn and praying unseated all night long.

And two more hymns

Nov 2015
Kyiv
The "Carol of the Bells" is based on the ukrainian traditional Christmas carol "Shchedryk". It was composed by the Ukrainian composer Mykola Leontovych

- and the version of the song by the Piano Guys

Original lyrics

Last edited:

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Early Christian hymn (4th century AD), still regularly used in Catholic masses

Gregorian chant, probably 11th century

Another Catholic chant, 12th or 13th century

The magnificent "Miserere mei, Deus", composed by Gregorio Allegri in the 17th century

Similar History Discussions