Remake of I Claudius

Aug 2015
uk
My only caveat for a remake of I,Claudius is that HBO be involved. If it's anywhere near as good as Rome I'll be more than happy. Of course I,Claudius was produced at a time when many historical dramas were played out as if on stage in a theatre; sounds odd but it worked rather well. People had to concentrate on the characters rather than be distracted by all the special effects.

I would hope that Brian Blessed and Derek Jacobi would get parts as their older selves from the original series; a nice touch and easily doable.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Gee, thanks for that. One of my favourite TV series too.

The cast is an 'interesting' mix. Not sure how Daniel Radcliffe will go.

Yeah, HBO is a worry if you are want historical accuracy.. I'll look forward to watching it on its own terms, which is what I I did with "Rome'

Yeah, HBO is a worry if you are want historical accuracy.. I'll look forward to watching it on its own terms, which is what I I did with "Rome'
Daniel Radcliffe as Caligula? Maybe he will portray good Caligula but he will never EVER be good as John Hurt! He is one of great actors that made I Claudius so even if they make new I Claudius with all those special effects and CGI and brutal scenes new I Claudius will be NOTHING for original one.
People maybe think I love just series and movies made in 20th century but they are wrong. My favourite movie is Gladiator made in 2000 (2nd place belongs to Troy).
But back to the subject I will not be happy if I see new I Claudius...... I just hope original one wont be forgotten.......

Aug 2015
uk

Ah, but the tv series is based on fiction; it needs to be true to the book rather than to actual historical fact (although it IS possible that some/many of the situations DID occur).

I agree about Daniel Radcliffe; will be interesting how he portrays Caligula.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Daniel Radcliffe as Caligula?????????????/

"There is a time for joking and there is a time for not joking, and this is not one of them" (Inspector Jacque Clouseau).

-Well there goes the ball game. Poor John Hurt must be spinning in his grave.

Daniel Radcliffe as Caligula?????????????/

"There is a time for joking and there is a time for not joking, and this is not one of them" (Inspector Jacque Clouseau).

-Well there goes the ball game. Poor John Hurt must be spinning in his grave.
Well there it is. I was afraid to see people arguing about I Claudius. This beautiful serial shouldnt be divided on 'better' and' worse' (especially because John Hurt actor who portrayed the best emperor Caligula died).
So lets say that remake of I Claudius will be released one day with maybe this cast. But we shouldnt forget how original cast and I Claudius are good.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Well there it is. I was afraid to see people arguing about I Claudius. This beautiful serial shouldnt be divided on 'better' and' worse' (especially because John Hurt actor who portrayed the best emperor Caligula died).
So lets say that remake of I Claudius will be released one day with maybe this cast. But we shouldnt forget how original cast and I Claudius are good.
Comparisons are a bit pointless. Can't be bothered about good/better/best in entertainment; it's a far to subjective to be meaningful imo,.

Fine to have an opinion,, not so fine to argue about something trivial as a TV show.

Some of the cast looks quite appealing: e.g. Oldman as Augustus and Fiennes as Tiberius. Hopefully it will turn out that Caligula was the part Radcliffe was born to play.

Regardless, I would much rather see something new, like (surprise, surprise) a mini-series on the turn of the fourth century, with Charles Dance as Diocletian and Brian Blessed as Maximian :p

Some of the cast looks quite appealing: e.g. Oldman as Augustus and Fiennes as Tiberius. Hopefully it will turn out that Caligula was the part Radcliffe was born to play.

Regardless, I would much rather see something new, like (surprise, surprise) a mini-series on the turn of the fourth century, with Charles Dance as Diocletian and Brian Blessed as Maximian :p
I would like to see series about some other roman emperors.
JulioClaudians shouldnt "steal" movie industry from Antonines :)

Similar History Discussions