Remake of I Claudius

I DO hope you're right about Daniel, being cast against type might work for him. Well, it worked for little Tommy Cruise, in the film called "Collateral". In my opinion, the best thing Cruise has ever done; his hitman is quite chilling. Let's hope for Daniel.
All right people I say Malcolm Mcdowell was good Caligula in "Caligula" 1979 and thats it!!!

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
All right people I say Malcolm Mcdowell was good Caligula in "Caligula" 1979 and thats it!!!
Of course! (snaps fingers) I'd forgotten him. Which version did you see? I've only seen the R rated version not the X rated. (where they used body doubles)

My most graphic memory is the machine in the arena, with those swishing blades, which chopped off heads of people buried to the neck. Caligula was chucking grapes at them. Malcolm McDowell has always mad a great villain.

Mar 2018
UK
If we're talking about different periods, Vespasian and sons would make a terrific series. Bloody civil war with lots of action to real the audience in from the start; bring in the vaguely biblical angle with the sack of Jerusalem, and climax with the completion of the most famous landmark in all of Rome! Plenty of interesting family dynamics between a father and his two sons for the writers to play with too.

Of course! (snaps fingers) I'd forgotten him. Which version did you see? I've only seen the R rated version not the X rated. (where they used body doubles)

My most graphic memory is the machine in the arena, with those swishing blades, which chopped off heads of people buried to the neck. Caligula was chucking grapes at them. Malcolm McDowell has always mad a great villain.
I saw version on you tube but honestly I didnt watch all. My favourite scenes were : Caligula and Macro kills Tiberius and then Caligula releases that Gemellus watched them, Caligula dances for Tiberius and when he said (to me) the most badass line ever : I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man, and therefore I am a God.
God that line was so fantastic and very well said that I thought maybe many says that John Hurt was the best Caligula but Malcolm deserves close 2nd place!!!
Also just imagine real Caligula to hear that. He would be like : this man read my mind :)

If I were to direct a series based in the late third century, something building to Diocletian, the first scene would be Valerian surrendering himself into captivity. I'd make it a real wtf moment, where the viewer is asking, 'How did the Romans get into this situation? What is going on?'. Just hit them with the empire at its lowest ebb.

I saw version on you tube but honestly I didnt watch all. My favourite scenes were : Caligula and Macro kills Tiberius and then Caligula releases that Gemellus watched them, Caligula dances for Tiberius and when he said (to me) the most badass line ever : I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man, and therefore I am a God.
God that line was so fantastic and very well said that I thought maybe many says that John Hurt was the best Caligula but Malcolm deserves close 2nd place!!!
Also just imagine real Caligula to hear that. He would be like : this man read my mind :)
It's a great line, and that scene with the swishing blades includes the very line that is your signature.

As for John Hurt, I love that scene when he is at Livia's deathbed:

Caligula : I hear you're dying, great grandmother.

Livia : You won't forget your promise, will you?

Caligula : To make you a goddess? And what makes you think that a filthy, smelly old woman like you could become a goddess? I don't need you anymore, you see, great grandmother. My secret will die with you. You are going to stew in hell forever and ever. Let me tell you something: Thrasyllus has made another prophecy. Told Tiberius. He said, "One who is going to die soon will become the greatest god the world has ever known. No temples will be dedicated to anyone but him in the whole Roman world, not even to Augustus." Do you know who that one is? Me. *Me*. I shall become the greatest god of all. And I shall look down on you suffering all the torments of hell, and I shall say, "Leave her there. Leave her there forever and ever and ever."

[he kisses her]

Caligula : Goodbye, great grandmother.

Sep 2014
Texas
If we have to sit through a third remake of a Star is Born, we can certainly sit through I Claudius, a wonderful story about an intriguing time in Roman history. To this day I remember him talking with his mother while she bled to death in a bath of warm water....unless I've got it confused with something else.

Similar History Discussions