Remembering PEarl Harbor

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
72 years ago today, aircraft from the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the Pacific Fleet base at Pearl Harbor Hawaii, catapulting the US into WWII.

The USS Arizona was the hardest hit. A B5N "level" bomber hit the Arizona with an armor piercing bomb which hit her forward magazine causing a catastrophic explosion. Just over 1,100 were killed of the 2,400 total Americans killed.

Arizona sailing.

Arizona burning at Pearl Harbor-note that the ship had settled on the bottom on an even keel.....The mast was destroyed.

And the wreckage today. Note the foreward (right) part of the ship is mostly gone. The explosion broke her back.

Pacific Wrecks - December 7, 1941

Oct 2013
Pennsylvania
December 7, 1941, is the most solemn day in American history to this point.
More lives were lost on September 11, 2001, but many Americans were lost from 1942-1945 because of this attack.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
One of the many heroes of that day.

Thank you Mr. Miller.

Nov 2011
United Kingdom
72 years ago today, aircraft from the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the Pacific Fleet base at Pearl Harbor Hawaii, catapulting the US into WWII.

The USS Arizona was the hardest hit. A B5N "level" bomber hit the Arizona with an armor piercing bomb which hit her forward magazine causing a catastrophic explosion. Just over 1,100 were killed of the 2,400 total Americans killed.

Arizona sailing.

Arizona burning at Pearl Harbor-note that the ship had settled on the bottom on an even keel.....The mast was destroyed.

And the wreckage today. Note the foreward (right) part of the ship is mostly gone. The explosion broke her back.

Pacific Wrecks - December 7, 1941
Seeing the Arizona burning like that is a powerful image. Consider modern death tolls are counted as 'high' when they reach triple figures, to have 1,100 men killed in a single ship and 2,400 in one attack is unthinkable in current affairs.

pikeshot1600

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Seeing the Arizona burning like that is a powerful image. Consider modern death tolls are counted as 'high' when they reach triple figures, to have 1,100 men killed in a single ship and 2,400 in one attack is unthinkable in current affairs.
HMS Hood...over 1400 KIA.

The CBs lost at Jutland each had more than 1,000 killed I think.

Fire_Raven

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Oregon
I learned something new today while watching football. One of the 2 original bells from the USS Arizona is at the University of Arizona and rung for special occasions.
Scrapbook

I really wish I would of known that when I was in Az couple of years ago for work.

unclefred

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Oregon coastal mountains
A friend of mine, Ray Patterson, now gone, was stationed there that day and witnessed a lot of tragedy. I'll never forget.