Remembering those who saved people

Sep 2011
------------
I wanted to make a thread for this gentleman who at 105 years old has been awarded for saving hundreds of Jewish children during WWII.

BBC News - Nicholas Winton honoured by Czechs for saving children from Nazis

It doesn't have to be specific to this war, but who are the people you think of that helped people during times of conflict through human history?

The less widely know the better, be nice to learn about people not as popular but maybe should be. :)

Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
I wanted to make a thread for this gentleman who at 105 years old has been awarded for saving hundreds of Jewish children during WWII.

BBC News - Nicholas Winton honoured by Czechs for saving children from Nazis

It doesn't have to be specific to this war, but who are the people you think of that helped people during times of conflict through human history?

The less widely know the better, be nice to learn about people not as popular but maybe should be. :)
Full marks for posting this Briseis, he did outstanding deeds. Pehaps Spielberg should make a film of him....

Anyway I nominate Mary Seacole, who was unfortunately eclipsed by Florence Nightingale's fame for a long time.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Seacole]Mary Seacole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Sep 2011
------------
Full marks for posting this Briseis, he did outstanding deeds. Pehaps Spielberg should make a film of him....

Anyway I nominate Mary Seacole, who was unfortunately eclipsed by Florence Nightingale's fame for a long time.
Mary Seacole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you and good choice. She was an amazing woman and very inspiring, it's a shame about the prejudice. She certainly deserves more recognition.

Mar 2014
Canterbury

This guy is the only reason any of us exist.

He's Vasili Arkhipov, and at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis he was on a Soviet nuclear submarine off the coast of Cuba. The craft - the B-59 - was authorised and ordered to go nuclear in response to an attack if two of three senior crewmen on board were in agreement.

It did come under attack - from US destroyers - and as Captain Savitsky ordered missiles be loaded with Political Officer Maslennikov's approval, Arkhipov was the one dissenting voice. He persuaded Maslennikov to relent, and favour resurfacing, at great personal risk to themselves. Savitsky had to bring the submarine up under the destroyers' gunwales, and thankfully was not blown up.

Arkhipov lived until 1998, when he died from altruism in the form of radiation poisoning related to an earlier incident, and is buried in Zheleznodorozhny.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
ALBANIA & ITALIA
Besa: The Promise

"There is an expression: Ne bese tane - under your given promise. My life is in your hands. Albania - apologies for any lack of modesty here - is known for this."

Besa (Albanian culture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Albanian historian Apostol Kotani, Jews may have first arrived in Albania as early as 70 C.E. as captives on Roman ships that washed up on the country's southern shores. Kotani believes that is was the descendants of these captives that would build the first synagogue in the southern port city of Sarande in the fifth centry.
Following World War I, the few remaining Jews in Albania, lived primarily in Koritsa. By 1930, the national census reported only 204 Jewish inhabitants. Despite this low number, in 1935, British journalist Leo Elton visited Albania and reported to the president of the Hebrew University in Jersualem that Albania an ideal refuge for the Jews. On April 2, 1937, the Jewish community was granted official recognition by the government. The largest Jewish populations were located in Kavaje and Vlora. Approximately, 600 Jews were living in Albania prior to World War II, 400 of whom were refugees.

By the end of the war Albania was home to about 2,000 Jews due to the bravery of Albanian citizens in risking their own lives to provide a haven for the fleeing Jews from neighboring countries. Albania was the only Nazi-occupied territory to experience an increase in Jewish population during the Holocaust.

By January 2011, the Israeli Holocuast Memorial Museum Yad Vashem had recognzied 69 Albanians as Righteous Gentiles - those who helped shetler or save Jews from the Nazi's during the Holocaust.

Harper's address to Holocaust remembrance ceremony | The Canadian Jewish News

At a national Holocaust Remembrance Day ceremony at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa yesterday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper gave a keynote address to the Jewish community - See more at: Harper's address to Holocaust remembrance ceremony | The Canadian Jewish News

"At the end of today’s ceremony will be the launch of an exhibit from Yad Vashem, on Muslim Albanians who rescued Jews during the Holocaust.
We have much to learn from their example.
Following Nazi occupation in 1943, the Albanians refused to turn over lists of Jews within their borders.
They gave false documents to Jews, to help them avoid detection.
The country protected not only its own Jewish citizens; they welcomed an even larger number of Jewish refugees from neighbouring lands.
As a result, almost all of them were saved.
What is the reason for this magnificent example?
It is besa, a code of honour, the highest ethical code in Albania.
Besa means literally “to keep the promise” – to keep one’s word, to the point of being someone in whom a person in need can entrust his or her very life".

"Rescue in Albania" // Documentary Film
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ8szhccfZM"]"Rescue in Albania" // Documentary Film - YouTube[/ame]

Muslim Families Who Saved Jews in World War II
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MdxW6SnVNI"]Muslim Families Who Saved Jews in World War II - YouTube[/ame]

Besa: The Promise - Movie Trailer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJBBdXtzXpQ"]Besa: The Promise - Movie Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Besa Muslims Who Saved Jews in World War II : Buy Direct from Syracuse University Press by Norman H. Gershman

Albert Einstein benefited from Albanian help to transit through Europe to America. He stayed in Durrës on the Albanian coast for three days in the royal mansion and then, equipped with an Albanian passport, continued his journey towards the free world.

Last edited:

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Today is Jonas Salk's 100th birthday, he was born Oct. 28, 1914. Dr. Salk discovered and developed the first effective polio vaccine, saving millions of children around the world from paralysis or death.

http://www.biography.com/people/jonas-salk-9470147#synopsis
That's a big achievement. My mom told me when she was a kid in the US in the 50s there was a big polio scare. She grew up in rural Appalachia and her family was so afraid that they rarely went to town one summer and she knew other children who had got polio and had to be put in the iron lung. Finally, they got the vaccine and they could relax about it. Probably, a lot of this fear was overblown but it did really have a big impact on people.

Zhang LaoYong

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
On the prowl.
All of the brave souls who worked on the Underground Railroad in the U.S. to help those fleeing slavery in the South.

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
Besa: The Promise...
Thank you for posting this. I am rather familiar with the amazing stories of the Greeks who risked much in helping Jews avoid capture and death. Your piece has nicely illustrated the goodness and personal honor that is so deeply rooted in a tradition that is all too forsaken by the world of today. I shall look more closely at this fine trait your countrymen displayed.