Removal of Confederate statues and flags?

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Royal, do you think that Travis might be even more controversial in San Antonio than a Confederate statue? Given the large Latino population there?
I know what you’re getting at, but no, I don’t think Travis - who had a bit of a shady past himself - is all that controversial around here. Most folks here probably don’t know many details about his life. If you’re thinking that the local Mexican-American population regrets that Mexico “lost” Texas and its later joining the United States many may have thought so back in 1836, but I doubt any think so now. Besides, the Alamo was a sound defeat of Texican forces (Santa Anna won big time) but it was the prelude to the even bigger Mexican loss at San Jacinto. Most of the Alamo defenders weren’t local to Texas.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Clearly, I understand they represent a bad part in American history as notes by many Americans. Slavery is a part of my ancestors past I would definitely like to rewrite the actions of others I cannot. At best, I can learn from it to prevent history from repeating itself.
But here is the thing, most of the statues being discussed dont date from the era they represent. Many were erected during the early days of the civil rights movement as a way to give the middle finger to those uppity former slaves. And if I am not mistaken, many of those statues are not being destroyed but simply being placed in more discrete locations.

Reactions: Fiver
Sep 2015
The Eastern Hinterlands
So what does everyone think here about the trend in recent years of the removal of statues of Confederate personalities like Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Jefferson Davis, and the removal of Confederate symbols from Southern state flags, is this historically justified, like the removal of Nazi symbols in Germany? And as an aside, what do people here think of movies like Gettysburg or Gods and Generals being just plain unmarketable in today's society, is this a good thing generally or a bad thing?
White-envy masking as political correctness with a nefarious agenda behind it.

The Civil War will always be marketable in America as long as there are enough white people in the country to make it so.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
This statue was the focal point of a park named, oddly enough, after Colonel William Barret Travis, one of the heros of the Battle of the Alamo which has nothing to do with the Civil War.
Since this thread began, I saw some news footage a rabid rabble tearing down a statute. The anti-statute movement doesn't seem like its grounded in brains.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Take them down and replace them with statues of John Brown and Nat Turner.
Brown was the murderer of innocent people, by today's standards, a terrorist, and convicted traitor. Not that this is a crime, but in my opinion, appears demon-possessed. Nice humane choice.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Since this thread began, I saw some news footage a rabid rabble tearing down a statute. The anti-statute movement doesn't seem like its grounded in brains.
Can you give us some context to this rabble? In most instances I have seen the authorities have been very proactive in making sure such rabbles don't become to rabid around statues.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Can you give us some context to this rabble?
Nope. Only that that news voice said it was a CSA statue - but as 744 points out - they could have been tearing down anything and a lot of people would not know the difference. That is not to mitigate my point that such agendas are emotional rather than rational.