Removal of Confederate statues and flags?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Yeah it does. Unless you are one who believes everything we see on TV is real
Feel free to elaborate. I don't know if it will help you do so, but I haven't had a TV for a long time.

I am reminded of the move, Quiz Show, about the rigging of Twenty-One, because they could make more money if the same contestant kept winning. One the producers defended the rigging by saying - When you go to the circus, you don't really think the magician is sawing the lady in half, do you?

I like that line because it is similar to how I think of TV. A magic trick.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
Feel free to elaborate. I don't know if it will help you do so, but I haven't had a TV for a long time.
Well you said you saw news footage. We don't know where, we don't know when, we don't know the source of the footage.

For example if it was on ABC nightly news there is a reasonable chance what was claimed was real.

But if you were watching a Glen Beck program I would have extreme doubts about the validity of the footage

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Well you said you saw news footage. We don't know where, we don't know when, we don't know the source of the footage.
For example if it was on ABC nightly news there is a reasonable chance what was claimed was real.
But if you were watching a Glen Beck program I would have extreme doubts about the validity of the footage
It is hard to imagine you think this rebuts an argument that most views on the issue are generated by emotion instead of by rationality. I feel like saying, I rest my case.

I am not sure where I saw it, or it is was this one, but it looked something like this. It doesn't look like deliberately staged photo-op news - but one never knows. It's a mob engaging in property destruction.

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
It is hard to imagine you think this rebuts an argument that most views on the issue are generated by emotion instead of rationality. I feel like saying, I rest my case.

I am not sure where I saw it, or it is was this one, but it looked something like this. It doesn't look like deliberately staged photo-op news - but one never knows.
Isn't CBS News a TV News Station?

Mar 2019
Kansas
It is hard to imagine you think this rebuts an argument that most views on the issue are generated by emotion instead of by rationality. I feel like saying, I rest my case.
And see this is where it gets real interesting. That particular event had nothing to do with the removal of statues but was a counter protest to nearby KKK activity.

That aside, a quick search of the internet discovers only 4 (including this one) as apposed to the over 100 removed peaceably.

But lets look at the history of the statue. It was erected 59 years after the war ended using public money. What was the rationality that went into that decision? The statue has no significant history behind it other than to rekindle passions about the Civil War.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
And see this is where it gets real interesting. That particular event had nothing to do with the removal of statues but was a counter protest to nearby KKK activity.
Alleged KKK activity.

Try to keep in mind, the argument was such activities are rooted in emotion. This was an emotional outburst, not an exercise in rationality. I can tell the difference between a lawless mob destroying property and a think tank. Can you?

But lets look at the history of the statue. It was erected 59 years after the war ended using public money. What was the rationality that went into that decision? The statue has no significant history behind it other than to rekindle passions about the Civil War.
I didn't say statues are erected out of rationality.

However, I find it hard to believe that someone 59 years ago was trying to kindle hostlie passions of people that would not be born for another 40 years. Those passions kindled themselves.

Last edited:

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
For several reasons. Perfecting has nothing to do with what powers are conferred or retained in the Articles. My understanding is perfecting is the process of curing defects, not a secret code word for surrendering the state right to alter abolish government. BTW, Lincoln didn't try that one. So, I don't think that is a historical argument. I never heard that one before, so maybe it's your creation.
Your lack of knowledge does not mean it was not a historical argument.

"Secession is nothing but revolution. The framers of our Constitution never exhausted so much labor, wisdom, and forbearance in its formation, and surrounded it with so many guards and securities, if it was intended to be broken by every member of the Confederacy at will. It was intended for “perpetual union,” so expressed in the preamble, and for the establishment of a government, not a compact, which can only be dissolved by revolution, or the consent of all the people in convention assembled. " - Robert E Lee, 1861

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Nope. Only that that news voice said it was a CSA statue - but as 744 points out - they could have been tearing down anything and a lot of people would not know the difference. That is not to mitigate my point that such agendas are emotional rather than rational.
Tearing down statues is often an emotional act, but it is nothing new to American history. On July 9, 1776 George Washington had the Declaration of Independence read aloud in New York City. In response the crowd pulled down a statute of George III. Most of it was broken up and melted down for bullets, but the head was defaced.

Reactions: Tulius