René Guénon - Critique of Modernism

Nov 2016
Germany
Was Ezra Pound a self confessed member of this theosophist movement? That seems to ring a bell alongside some of the stuff you've mentioned.
I would not include Ezra Pound in the fascist version of Traditionalism that originates in Guénon. Both represented fascist and anti-democratic ideas, but very different from Pound Guénon had no sympathies for Hitler and Mussolini. Pound cannot be called a true fascist Traditionalist either, he was interested like them in the non-Christian mystical religions, ancient philosophies and Theosophy, but, as far as I know, he did not--like the paranoid Guénon school--combine this with the idea that materialistic worldview was a satanistic phenomenon. Only in Pound´s Canto VXXII is Satan mentioned in connection with Churchill, what is probably only intended as a metaphor:

il gran’ usuraio Satana-Gerione, prototipo
Dei padroni di Churchill

(the great usurer Satan-Gerione, prototype of the masters of Churchill)

As far as Theosophy is concerned, Guénon is rooted in it, but he has developed ideas that sometimes differ considerably from Theosophy, e.g. regarding reincarnation and karma. I will go into the various systems in more detail on occasion.

Last edited:

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
I read some of his books during my early youth, I liked the most Le règne de la quantité et les signes des temps /The Reign of Quantity and the Signs of the Times and Les états multiples de l'Être /The Multiple States of the Being, but generally I found them to contain profound ideas mixed with some too far-fetching interpretations.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
North Dublin
In this vein, someone mentioned Coomaraswarmy, who seems to be a kind of Vedic Fascist, but I don't know why, since I am more interested in Aegypt, Hermes, Gnosis, Jewry, German folk-magick, & so forth.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
I think there are many aspects of Guenon's belief, especially political ones, who don't get along at all with Romanticism (like cult of the nation, of the people, modern intellectualism). Personally I think Guenon's thought comes from Eastern civilization (Islam, Hindu, Chinese civilization), it's hard to interpret it according to Western references and -isms.
He didn't start with the Eastern thought, but came to believe that the kernel of every "tradition" represents the same universal and ultimate Truth, and that during his times living "traditions" can still be found only in the Orient, so he embraced Islam, because joining a Sufi order which for him partook to such a living "tradition" was the most accessible path he could take for being initiated into the "mystery" of a "tradition".

Last edited:
Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.
I would not include Ezra Pound in the fascist version of Traditionalism that originates in Guénon. Both represented fascist and anti-democratic ideas, but very different from Pound Guénon had no sympathies for Hitler and Mussolini. Pound cannot be called a true fascist Traditionalist either, he was interested like them in the non-Christian mystical religions, ancient philosophies and Theosophy, but, as far as I know, he did not--like the paranoid Guénon school--combine this with the idea that materialistic worldview was a satanistic phenomenon. Only in Pound´s Canto VXXII is Satan mentioned in connection with Churchill, what is probably only intended as a metaphor:

il gran’ usuraio Satana-Gerione, prototipo
Dei padroni di Churchill

(the great usurer Satan-Gerione, prototype of the masters of Churchill)

As far as Theosophy is concerned, Guénon is rooted in it, but he has developed ideas that sometimes differ considerably from Theosophy, e.g. regarding reincarnation and karma. I will go into the various systems in more detail on occasion.
Thanks - do you have any recommended books to read on this?