Reparations for American Blacks

Nov 2014
ph
So what does everyone think of this idea, which is highly possible to be made law? Should only white people pay this? I remember this being ASB territory as recently as 15 years ago.

Reactions: Futurist
Sep 2014
Texas
What about Blacks who also owned slaves? Should descendants of the Union soldiers be exempt from this? What about immigrants who arrived after the Civil War? And how will this money be passed out? Should we cut off all welfare benefits to help pay for this. What if a man or woman misuses the money and loses it. Do we have to support them?

I'm a cynic. Where does this magical money come from? When do we cut it off. Does it go on indefinitely? Right now, I don't think it's a good idea.

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
If we were talking about this in 1865 or so, it would have been a good idea, although very difficult to implement. Now? No persons now alive were slaves at the end of the Civil War.

Society owes the descendants of slaves civil rights—denied for years —and a good basic education, which is still denied, and even dissed and rejected by some of the people to whom it is offerred.

Mar 2016
Australia
I'm strongly opposed to any form of reparations, because what it essentially boils down to is stealing the money from one group of people by threat of force, to give to another group of people, often on ethnic lines. I'm sure even men like Adolf Hitler could have made very convincing arguments as to why the Jews owed reparations to natural-born German people. It's a vindictive and discriminatory practice, no matter how much one insists it's done for a good cause. And if you really want to argue for it, you could argue that basically everyone deserves reparations of some sort, because an identity group that they belong to has been wronged somehow at some point in the past - my ancestors were Catholic Scots and Irish, so should I demand reparations of the United Kingdom's government because of the violent religious persecutions that occurred against my 'people' in the 16th and 17th centuries? I can certainly use all of the arguments that people in support of reparations for African-Americans in the US today can.

Reactions: macon and Niobe

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
1. One huge reason for inequality is the inheritance laws.
2. The inheritance laws, by allowing the vast majority of wealth to be kept in the same family through successive generations, causes inequality to increase over time.
3. Descendants of people (black or white) who were poor in the 19th century, are still more likely to be relatively poor now.
4. A tax on weatlh (preferably taking the money on the death of the owner ie deciding NOT to give it to the relatives who did NOTHING to earn it) would fund a distribution to all citizens equally.
5. It would take generations, but gradually, everyone would be given an equal start in life.

Reactions: Fox and Futurist
Apr 2017
Lemuria
Reparation is a stupid idea and will only create resentment among the other ethnicities paying of the reparation without really addressing any of the deep seated issues. What the black community need though is to never forget slavery and teach their children about this cruel trade. They need to increase security in their neighbourhood and promote exclusively black businesses within their community and be respectful toward each other. What i would recommend though is a negative tax for the whole of the US for those earning less that $25,000 and this would benefit blacks disproportionately. So if you are making only $20,000 for example, you get an additional $5000 from the government.

Security (local patrols by blacks in black neighbourhoods giving them the power of arrest for more serious offenses as well as strict curfews in the most violent neighbourhoods, constant watch of violent repeat offenders and giving them long sentences where they have to learn a skill to pay for their freedom), proper leadership at local and regional level, more opportunities and better education including how to behave in society (such respect for theirvenvironment and respectful behaviours toward members of their community) and encouraging traditional marriage instead of modern decadent behaviours. In other words a mixture of conservative and liberal policies. Above all, they should not let outsiders dictate policies for their community. They should do it themselves.

Last edited:
Mar 2016
Australia
Reparation is a stupid idea and will only create resentment among the other ethnicities paying of the reparation without really addressing any of the deep seated issues. What the black community need though is to never forget slavery and teach their children about this cruel trade. They need to increase security in their neighbourhood and promote exclusively black businesses within their community and be respectful toward each other. What i would recommend though is a negative tax for the whole of the US for those earning less that $25,000 and this would benefit blacks disproportionately. So if you are making only $20,000 for example, you get an additional $5000 from the government.

Security (local patrols by blacks in black neighbourhoods giving them the power of arrest for more serious offenses as well as strict curfews in the most violent neighbourhoods, constant watch of violent repeat offenders and giving them long sentences where they have to learn a skill to pay for their freedom), proper leadership at local and regional level, more opportunities and better education including how to behave in society (such respect for theirvenvironment and respectful behaviours toward members of their community) and encouraging traditional marriage instead of modern decadent behaviours. In other words a mixture of conservative and liberal policies. Above all, they should not let outsiders dictate policies for their community. They should do it themselves.
This sounds like you're arguing for a form of segregation and etho-nationalism, to be perfectly honest.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
This sounds like you're arguing for a form of segregation and etho-nationalism, to be perfectly honest.
No, not ethno-nationalism but some form of segregation is required. People segregate themselves socially all the times. It is necessary. No one is forcing anyone to segregate but they should be able if they need to find some form of cohesion. The problem with blacks is they want to move into propesrous white communities but in these communities a certain form of white privilege naturally exists as it is evolutionary wired into people to favour those that look like you ethnically. That's just how it is even though in the West the playing field is a bit more leveled.
They should cooperate with each other first. Outsiders will compete with them. When you are a minority, you will not be able to compete with a majority on the average. Don't let that Asian minority success fool you. The Asians who migrate are the best of the best and are wired for competition. This is why for example most of the black doctors in the US are actually Nigerians. Are Nigerians better than Afro-Americans, no? But the Nigerian migrants on average are and they form strong support network for their own people.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Insanity. How many people do you know who were enslaved?

I'm still waiting for reparations from that nasty Claudius for invading my country

No wonder race is still such a huge issue in the US