Responsibility for Slave trade is African?

Feb 2012
Portugal
That particular claim in the wikipedia article on the Jaga is an interesting notion, and I have come across a similar claim elsewhere though I have not been able to track down the primary source for the idea (that the motivation for the Jaga invasion had to do with fighting against slaving operations from Kongo). Perhaps someone was drawing on something in a primary source when describing it as an anti-slave-trade invasion, but I have not been able to find the original source(s).

Several articles have been written about the Jaga, theorizing about who they really were, where they possibly came from, and what the motivation for their invasion was and it seems that so far their identity and the actual motivations behind their invasions are not exactly clear.

Of the articles that have been written about the Jaga, three of the most interesting are:

"Requiem for the "Jaga" " (1973) by Joseph Miller

https://www.persee.fr/doc/cea_0008-0055_1973_num_13_49_2728

"A Resurrection for the Jaga" (1978) by John Thornton

https://www.persee.fr/doc/cea_0008-0055_1978_num_18_69_2407

"The Jaga Reconsidered" (1981) by Anne Hilton

https://www.jstor.org/stable/181582?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Miller argues that the Jaga were more of a construct, myth, or misunderstanding than an actual foreign invading group, while both Hilton and Thornton disagree with this idea and argue that the Jaga existed and were a real group, but give different identifications for who they were.
Thanks these are very interesting articles I will read. This is a complex subject and obviously even if the Portuguese had not enough "muscle" to carry a slave trade without local support they were no saints. As war was usually the way of increasing the number of captured slaves I read that in Brazil wars were promoted, (like if the natives were not enough warlike already), in order to increase the number of slaves being captured and sold by the natives.

Do look up and research Tippu Tip and his activities in the Congo--he was so famous he was even featured in the Illustrated London News and dealt with Livingstone, Stanley and King Leopold. His lineage, a mix of Coastal Bantu and Arab is also of interest. Although he was a relative latecomer to the slave trade, he is typical of the enterprising slavers of the Swahili Coast.
I'm not saying it didn't happen. If you want to deny fact that a decision you make. What I know is my ancestor s new they were here and taught there children to remember. You can believe what you want. Fact.. Columbus brought a black Moor navigator to find America... He also brought this black Moor to speak Hebrew to the aboriginals of the land. Why? Why did Columbus think he was in Ethiopia if we weren't here. Why did the Pope tell him to enslave hams descendants if we weren't here.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

What is the point of making these unusual claims about the same idea repeatedly and then disappearing? Once again:
It not a claim it is fact. We have always been in paganos (aka America). We are the aboriginals. Delute your self all you want the is a book in the library of Congress that provides evidence. It shows men and women who look "black" not just skin color but hair. Explain who the Dutch long before Columbus were talking to.

I see what you are saying but one can eaisly cherry pick situations where slaves had it better in America than Africa. Ive seen it done before by people who sympathize with the confederacy. The fact is Slavery existed in various forms in Africa, some better some worse but at the end of the day you were a slave.
Slavery in Africa was not comparable to United States of America. In Africa you were treated as family. You weren't beaten or stripped of your language, family, faith or history. The Africans that sold the small amount of men less than 300000 never imagined the impact.

Slavery in Africa was not comparable to United States of America. In Africa you were treated as family. You weren't beaten or stripped of your language, family, faith or history. The Africans that sold the small amount of men less than 300000 never imagined the impact.

My family were never slaves. My great grand father 4 times was a aboriginals chief. We lived in California in 1700 . Believe what you wish . I know fact. His sister was married to plantation owner. I know my story my family history. I am a yuchi Aboriginal person I'm not african American and your government records back my claims get over it.

They claim 4 million people were brought here but if you look for yourself you will see it is a lie. The records are online. They don't and up to 4 million people. It is just a lie

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
It not a claim it is fact. We have always been in paganos (aka America). We are the aboriginals. Delute your self all you want the is a book in the library of Congress that provides evidence. It shows men and women who look "black" not just skin color but hair. Explain who the Dutch long before Columbus were talking to.

Have you got a source for this claim? simply stating its a 'FACT' and claiming others are being dishonest with themselves does not support your claims that are quite outlandish and certainly go against the main stream historical narrative.

So any source?