Revolutionary War: Who's Your Military Favorite (To Love or Hate)

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I'm just interested to hear who everyone favors when it comes to Revolutionary War combatants - whether American or British. I find I am often more captivated by the ones that were rotten, prideful, cruel, contradictory or useless than the ones that were exemplary... they just tend to be very interesting... For example:

* Charles Lee: ineffective to the point that his capture is almost a blessing in disguise - until you learn he may have been helping his British captors plot against the Continentals, and when exchanged back to service, faced court-martial for generally being a bit of a pansy (disobedience, shameful retreat, etc).

* John Simcoe: used light infantry in an impressive manner, favored bayoneting rebels (in their sleep or otherwise). AMC's Turn made him out to be a psychopath - the real character is equal parts intelligent and ruthless (though I suppose it still falls under what is acceptable in warfare at the time), with no pity for patriots or their property during the war and afterward showing incredibly sound moral judgement when it comes to slavery.

* Joseph Brant: wore his traditional Mohawk dress while visiting Britain (must have been amazing to see), his raids were often described as "massacres" (in 2-3 cases, killing hundreds, taking few prisoners, with shockingly low cost to his own force) with sometimes killed non-combatants.

So, I'm curious, which individuals are your favorites and why? Does anyone here have a better criteria for picking their favorites (i.e. anyone here not as lurid as I am)?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
To me as an outsider it is Nathaneal Greene. Imo a more complete general than Washington. He basically rewrote the book on colonial warfare.
He was a petting interesting guy - he was also from a devout Quaker background, so he would have been raised as a pacifist... at some point he was banned from meetings. It's interesting that someone raised to be intentionally peaceful could become such a good soldier.

Oct 2011
Of those 3 Charles Lee a total screw up. Simcoe and Brant were pretty successful although Brant failed at Ft Stanwix he did hurt the rebel cause with his cherry Valley and Wyoming raids. Then of course Washington sent Sullivan to burn out the natives in retaliation. Simcoe's Queen's Rangers were very good.

Oct 2011
He was a petting interesting guy - he was also from a devout Quaker background, so he would have been raised as a pacifist... at some point he was banned from meetings. It's interesting that someone raised to be intentionally peaceful could become such a good soldier.

Biography of General Nathanael Greene - USHistory.org

Nathanael Greene was born August 7, 1742 in Warwick, Rhode Island. The Greene family was among the earliest settlers in Rhode Island and had helped establish thecolony in the 1630s. ... When Greene attended a military parade and showed support for armed rebellion against England, he was expelled from his church.

Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
Benedict Arnold. Both to love and hate. Love because he was the Fighting General. Hate for obvious reasons; however, the circumstances leading up to his treason is interesting... a supposed love triangle, unfulfilled promises of pay for his troops from the Continental Congress. Lastly, he lived out the rest of his life as an importer/exporter. Not what one would expect for one convicted of treason.