Revolutionary War: Who's Your Military Favorite (To Love or Hate)

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Personally not a big fan of Joseph Brant, I think he was very self serving and embellished his personal accomplishments in battle. He also attacked and nearly killed Simon Girty while they were drinking around a fire, attacking him from behind with a sword. Simon Girty is one of my favorite characters of the time. Raised by the Senecas, he and his brothers were widely respected by the natives and widely despised by the Americans. Simon Girty was the most hated man on the frontier and many falsehoods were told about him, in reality, he helped many people who were captured by the tribes. He was very adept at native languages and acted as an interpreter at numerous important treaties and meetings. Girty was not a die-herd loyalist, but was pushed towards the British after being accused of treason and passed over for important positions, his true loyalties were more towards the Native Americans and helping the British was most beneficial to the Seneca. To learn more about Smon Girty, I recommend "Simon Girty, turncoat hero" by Phillip Hoffman.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Yes he was a real person, Robert Graves wrote two historical novels based on his life , I have read them, but he based it on the biography originally published by Lamb himself.

Sergeant Lamb novels - Wikipedia

UNPUBLISHED WRITINGS OF ROGER LAMB, SOLDIER IN THE AMERICAN WAR OF INDEPENDENCE (Part 1) on JSTOR

Oh, now that is interesting! In America, they have to glamorize their own side (because they kinda need some help to sell the whole "righteous rebellion" angle) and you hear basically NOTHING about the British side. Other than Poldark... most of the female population knows Aiden Turner as Poldark, and how he was a British soldier fighting in America for all of 2 minutes at the beginning of the series. :rolleyes:

Feb 2019
Serbia
From purely the Revolutionary War I have to say William Howe. He wasn't bad per say, he had his fair share of victories and got himself in a position to crush the Americans but he never did. The Saratoga Campaign is a great example of his lack of strategic foresight.

George Augustus Elliot, holding against the Spanish at the Siege of Gibraltar for several years while heavily outnumbered.

Greene was possibly the best of the American commanders.

Several of my ''military favourites'' of all time appear in the Revolutionary War such as John Jervis, Horatio Nelson, Richard Howe, Jean Baptiste Jourdan and others but they aren't my favourites because of their actions in the Revolutionary War but because of their careers as a whole, primarily in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic Wars.

Oct 2016
Merryland
From purely the Revolutionary War I have to say William Howe. He wasn't bad per say, he had his fair share of victories and got himself in a position to crush the Americans but he never did. The Saratoga Campaign is a great example of his lack of strategic foresight.
Howe suffered from London ineptness. His army was supposed to go north and meet Burgoyne but they never forwarded the orders.
then as now, the man in uniform is at the mercy of the suits.

I dislike Horatio Gates. His victory as Saratoga was due to Morgan, British ineptness, and various other factors; given command in the Carolinas he got crushed and forced into retirement, where he played politics to get overall command over Washington. what a snake.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Oh, now that is interesting! In America, they have to glamorize their own side (because they kinda need some help to sell the whole "righteous rebellion" angle) and you hear basically NOTHING about the British side. Other than Poldark... most of the female population knows Aiden Turner as Poldark, and how he was a British soldier fighting in America for all of 2 minutes at the beginning of the series. :rolleyes:
Because there isn't really a British side. For them it was a complete sideshow and mainly a minor embarrassment.

Reactions: Niobe
Oct 2016
Merryland
Because there isn't really a British side. For them it was a complete sideshow and mainly a minor embarrassment.
"I rejoice that America has resisted." William Pitt
England so unenthusiastic over this war that they had to hire a bunch of Hessians to fight.
hessians.jpg

Reactions: Niobe