Revolutionary War: Who's Your Military Favorite (To Love or Hate)

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Simon Girty is a larger than life character, when he was imprisoned in the block house in Fort Pitt for treason, he escaped that night, slept in a cherry tree in the middle of town and then came back to the gates the next morning saying that "if I were really guilty, would I have come back?", they released him.
Yet again is a cherry tree somehow central in a story of American honesty (though unlike George's, Simon's story is most likely true).

Reading some about Simon Girty has revealed some ritualistic torture methods used by the Lenape that I hadn't been aware of (I always thought of the Lenape as rather too nice to repeatedly stick red, hot gun barrels into a person prior to burning him at the stake). :eek:

Jun 2017
Connecticut
I'm just interested to hear who everyone favors when it comes to Revolutionary War combatants - whether American or British. I find I am often more captivated by the ones that were rotten, prideful, cruel, contradictory or useless than the ones that were exemplary... they just tend to be very interesting... For example:

* Charles Lee: ineffective to the point that his capture is almost a blessing in disguise - until you learn he may have been helping his British captors plot against the Continentals, and when exchanged back to service, faced court-martial for generally being a bit of a pansy (disobedience, shameful retreat, etc).

* John Simcoe: used light infantry in an impressive manner, favored bayoneting rebels (in their sleep or otherwise). AMC's Turn made him out to be a psychopath - the real character is equal parts intelligent and ruthless (though I suppose it still falls under what is acceptable in warfare at the time), with no pity for patriots or their property during the war and afterward showing incredibly sound moral judgement when it comes to slavery.

* Joseph Brant: wore his traditional Mohawk dress while visiting Britain (must have been amazing to see), his raids were often described as "massacres" (in 2-3 cases, killing hundreds, taking few prisoners, with shockingly low cost to his own force) with sometimes killed non-combatants.

So, I'm curious, which individuals are your favorites and why? Does anyone here have a better criteria for picking their favorites (i.e. anyone here not as lurid as I am)?
Joseph Warren who in an alternate universe might be George Washington.

Charles Lee:cause of the dogs.

Samuel Prescott:the leader of the early battles before Washington who often gets overshadowed

George Washington:Trenton and the escape from NYC are fascinating.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Yet again is a cherry tree somehow central in a story of American honesty (though unlike George's, Simon's story is most likely true).

Reading some about Simon Girty has revealed some ritualistic torture methods used by the Lenape that I hadn't been aware of (I always thought of the Lenape as rather too nice to repeatedly stick red, hot gun barrels into a person prior to burning him at the stake). :eek:
Simon Girty was vilified for being present at Crawford's torture and burning, but the reality is that he tried repeatedly to buy Crawford and prevent his death. Crawford was a captive of the Delaware/Lenape and Girty was a Seneca so in the end he couldn't intervene.

You've got to remember the Gnadenhutten massacre was just 3 months earlier, so the Lenape were looking for revenge.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Simon Girty was vilified for being present at Crawford's torture and burning, but the reality is that he tried repeatedly to buy Crawford and prevent his death. Crawford was a captive of the Delaware/Lenape and Girty was a Seneca so in the end he couldn't intervene.

You've got to remember the Gnadenhutten massacre was just 3 months earlier, so the Lenape were looking for revenge.
This was the torture of John Turner (Girty's step father?)... I just have to laugh because I used to play in the reconstructed Lenape villages in PA as a kid... I never pictured them being so hardcore.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Joseph Warren who in an alternate universe might be George Washington.

Charles Lee:cause of the dogs.

Samuel Prescott:the leader of the early battles before Washington who often gets overshadowed

George Washington:Trenton and the escape from NYC are fascinating.

The dogs! The pomeranian! Apparently you had to really like dogs to like Lee. He had rather showy uniforms made that he never had cleaned, people who knew him said he tended to stink... I'm sure part of the smell was a bit “doggy”.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
This was the torture of John Turner (Girty's step father?)... I just have to laugh because I used to play in the reconstructed Lenape villages in PA as a kid... I never pictured them being so hardcore.
Simon Girty's father was much loved by the tribes. John Turner was erroneously thought to have killed him and "taken" his wife so it was somewhat personal. Overall, the Delaware often tried their best to get along with the whites, but it never seemed to help, in fact it often had the opposite effect. Armherst and Bouquet allegedly gave the friendly Delaware around Fort Pitt blankets infected with small pox in hopes of spreading it to other tribes.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I had never heard of Peter Francisco before... it sounds like he went up against Tarleton's Raiders a couple of times... what a combination of characters: Francisco - a herculean sort of guy, a blacksmith, not particularly educated during the war from what I just read; and Tarleton - a bit of a fop who gambled away his wealth and was rather brutal. You couldn't make up two better foils to one another's characters if you tried.

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
Bernardo de Galvez, the governor of Spanish Louisiana. An able and energetic soldier he captured West Florida from the British and his siege and capture of Pensacola is the biggest thing in the American War that most Americans never heard of.

Galvez at Pensacola
8F22C407-8270-4CCD-870C-F61EB1BB2508.jpeg

Similar History Discussions