Riace bronze Warriors

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Most other Greek artwork depicted gods and mythical heroes. I'm not an art historian, but I don't see how 2 such major works would be portraits of living men. (Or recently deceased men!) For all we know, the artist grabbed a handy farm worker or nicely-muscled slave as a model!

Matthew

Jul 2014
Messinia
Most other Greek artwork depicted gods and mythical heroes. I'm not an art historian, but I don't see how 2 such major works would be portraits of living men. (Or recently deceased men!) For all we know, the artist grabbed a handy farm worker or nicely-muscled slave as a model!

Matthew
Hello Matthew. I hope you have been well.

So it’s most likely a representation of God’s....

Shame, I was hoping they were maybe warriors from Marathon.

I guess I’m just a dreamer.

Jan 2016
Ohio
Not necessarily a representation of God's.

It could just be as simple as 2 statues of warriors.

Greeks were very heavy on the ideal beauty. So far as to get it down to a near perfect math.

In this time period, even if you were old and fat, your statue would be made of you as young with a perfect body. Now, this isant the case in later Roman Era times (who copied a craaaaaaaaap ton of greek art) when busts would begin to be made showing old age, weight, etc.

Could it be Gods? Sure.

It could also just 2 statues with no model at all representing no one. Some speculate they were from a monuments.

Its been suggested to represent the warriors Tydeus and Amphiarus from the monument seven Against Thebes,

Or Erechtheus the son of Athena, and Eumolops, son of Poseidon

frankly, we don't, and probably never will know who they actually are meant to represent, if anyone at all.

Jul 2014
Messinia
Not necessarily a representation of God's.

It could just be as simple as 2 statues of warriors.

Greeks were very heavy on the ideal beauty. So far as to get it down to a near perfect math.

In this time period, even if you were old and fat, your statue would be made of you as young with a perfect body. Now, this isant the case in later Roman Era times (who copied a craaaaaaaaap ton of greek art) when busts would begin to be made showing old age, weight, etc.

Could it be Gods? Sure.

It could also just 2 statues with no model at all representing no one. Some speculate they were from a monuments.

Its been suggested to represent the warriors Tydeus and Amphiarus from the monument seven Against Thebes,

Or Erechtheus the son of Athena, and Eumolops, son of Poseidon

frankly, we don't, and probably never will know who they actually are meant to represent, if anyone at all.
Thank you so much for this post.

Can I ask you, who do you personally think that these warriors are?

Similar History Discussions