Rigveda on Conquest of India by Vedic Aryans.

Status
Closed

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
hi all, this is my assessment of how Vedic Aryans conquered North West India by studying Rigveda, I am mostly following book 3 as my gotra is Vishwamitra and its our family book- Indra is our patron god.

Vishwamitra was a Purohit(royal Priest) of a Rigvedic Tribe named Bharathas under king sudas like his father Gathin and grandfather Kushik, he was mostlikely member of Bhrigu tribe earlier as he claimed that his ancestor was jamdagni and witzel also supported this claim via ashirathi. during Vedic times purohit was 2nd most important position after kingship as purohits used to command Armies of King/Tribesmen as generals like vishwamitera did during his lifetime.

today India is named after Bharat, same tribe that conquered India first and spread all over India forming their own Manifest Destiny thousands of years ago, even today like most of upper caste such as Brahmins like myself belong to this tribe through our ancestors who lived in this tribe and wrote their Rigved in Haryana as a part of this tribe, most of kshatriya/Rajput king even today claims their bloodline from this same tribe(turned into mythical king) shows you how much this conquest impacted India.

please read my post and give your opinion in civilized way, we all know that this invasion/migration debate is settled with genetic studies so instead of turning towards usual u wrong-me right lets focus on this real history of decoding poetry and hymns of great Rigveda.

(Note : I am not a blog righter and i have only learned English few years ago so forgive me unprofessional posts as i have studied in a small town of Jammu and kashmir state where even teachers in our schools were not able to speak English properly, i learned it after moving to Mumbai few years ago.)

link to my assessment : History of Arrival of Vedic Aryans into India.
Battle of the 10 kings has no mention of foreign people invading India. Aryan invasion was a colonial propaganda invented out of misleading interpretation of Battle of the 10 kings. The main colonial agenda was to make Indians accept British as a "second Aryan invaders" for second civilization and weaken Indian nationalism by inciting enmity between North Indians and South Indians and wipe out Hinduism from South India.

Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.
Innar/Inar (Innara) was Hittite god of the woods & the fields. I guess he somehow evolved over time & space into Indra of the Vedic Aryans & Donner/Donar of the ancient Germanics, from whom the latter day English word 'thunder' might have sprung.
You actually have a good eatr but it is leading you astray here. The root for Thor is proto-Germanic *thunra(z) which goes back to PIE *(s)tenh₂- . Indra is unrelated. The exact origin is contested. Traditionally we favour Indra < Indu (raindrop) which makes A LOT of sense thematically, but little linguistically. Various scholars have put forth either a Proto-Uralic borrowing (from something like Imra/Imar with a metathesis making since based on Aryan speech habits) or some unknown substrate (sometimes labelled BMAC substrate).

I really like the idea of it the name deriving from 'raindrop', but it has kinda hard to make linguistic sense.

Jul 2014
world
hi all, this is my assessment of how Vedic Aryans conquered North West India by studying Rigveda, I am mostly following book 3 as my gotra is Vishwamitra and its our family book- Indra is our patron god.

Vishwamitra was a Purohit(royal Priest) of a Rigvedic Tribe named Bharathas under king sudas like his father Gathin and grandfather Kushik, he was mostlikely member of Bhrigu tribe earlier as he claimed that his ancestor was jamdagni and witzel also supported this claim via ashirathi. during Vedic times purohit was 2nd most important position after kingship as purohits used to command Armies of King/Tribesmen as generals like vishwamitera did during his lifetime.

today India is named after Bharat, same tribe that conquered India first and spread all over India forming their own Manifest Destiny thousands of years ago, even today like most of upper caste such as Brahmins like myself belong to this tribe through our ancestors who lived in this tribe and wrote their Rigved in Haryana as a part of this tribe, most of kshatriya/Rajput king even today claims their bloodline from this same tribe(turned into mythical king) shows you how much this conquest impacted India.

please read my post and give your opinion in civilized way, we all know that this invasion/migration debate is settled with genetic studies so instead of turning towards usual u wrong-me right lets focus on this real history of decoding poetry and hymns of great Rigveda.

(Note : I am not a blog righter and i have only learned English few years ago so forgive me unprofessional posts as i have studied in a small town of Jammu and kashmir state where even teachers in our schools were not able to speak English properly, i learned it after moving to Mumbai few years ago.)

Are there any actual evidence in Rig veda about invasions of India or warring against aboriginal natives ?

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Innar/Inar (Innara) was Hittite god of the woods & the fields. I guess he somehow evolved over time & space into Indra of the Vedic Aryans & Donner/Donar of the ancient Germanics, from whom the latter day English word 'thunder' might have sprung.
The word Indra has a root that is different from Inar/Innar. So the idea is not tenable.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA

What has VishwAmitra being the priest of Bharatas got to do with any of that phantom Aryan invasion?

May 2019
Earth
Are there any actual evidence in Rig veda about invasions of India or warring against aboriginal natives ?
Yes book 3.53 is entire description of how they prepared for war by asking Indra to bless their weapons, chariots, themselves etc for war against kikatas as same tribe is listedright below area they conquered before, I assume they wone the battle as puranic sources say that kikatas were an East Indian tribe now not north Western anymore.

I have even read how they made they weapons, what kind of weapons they used aetc.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Yes book 3.53 is entire description of how they prepared for war by asking Indra to bless their weapons, chariots, themselves etc for war against kikatas as same tribe is listedright below area they conquered before, I assume they wone the battle as puranic sources say that kikatas were an East Indian tribe now not north Western anymore.

I have even read how they made they weapons, what kind of weapons they used aetc.
There are many hymns about battles between various Arya tribes, so? And by the way, 3.53 is not a book. 3.53 is Mandala 3, Sukta 53.

Mar 2019
KL
1559420538307.png

where is the mention of sword and chariot here :lol:

kikata is always placed in Bihar btw, that is the scholarly consensus, placing them in Punjab is just like placing saraswati in afghanistan which has been embraced as gagar hakra river by all archaeologists.

regards

Last edited:
Oct 2015
India

Dear Rishi,

Happy to see your interest in history of Vedic Era. I believe that we need more people taking interest in the subject.

Firstly, in order to re-construct Vedic Era history , we need to read the whole of Rig Ved Samhita, not Book-3 alone. So please consider expanding your scope, after all you are trying to write about Vedic Era, not your lineage or gotra alone. Secondly, kshatriya lineages have been been preserved in genealogical sections of Puranas. These also need to be connected/integrated with contents of Rig Ved Samhita (RVS). In other words, you need to do a lot more work.

There are several secondary works by scholars on this subject: Talageri has done some intensive work on rishi & kshatriya lineages mentioned in RVS. Witzel also has one article co-authored with someone, if I remember correctly. Pargiter has written two excelllent books on genealogies contained in Puranas (Ancient Indian Historical Tradition, Dynasties of the Kali Age). All this material is available free on the web. Try to have a quick glance thru them.

Let us not call this Vedic Era re-construction as "History". It is better named as "Ancient Indian Historical Tradition" because modern scholars demand written evidence (clay tablets etc) from bygone eras to classify it as "history". Whereas we have only compositions passed from generation to generations via oral tradition

My views on Vishwamitras:

(i) Sage Vishwamitra (s/o Gadhi) lived in Generation-32.

(ii) King Bharat (s/o King Dushyanta) lived in Generation-44.

From him the Indian subcontinent has been named as "Bhaarat-varsha" and this word is mentioned in Mahabharata where hundreds of mountains, rivers, and ethnic group in Bhaarat-varsha are enumerated. All people who live in "Bharata-varsha" are not biological descendants of King Bharata

(iii) King Sudas (s/o King Divodas) lived in Generation-68. A Rishi of the Viswamitra gotra performed the Yagyas for him.

(iv) There is a specific hymn is Rig Ved Samhita which talks about movement of Bhaaratas into India. It was a migration and not an invasion.

Best wishes

Rajeev

You may like to see the chart, based on Pargiter, at: Was Battle of 10 kings a real battle at all ?

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions