Rigveda on Conquest of India by Vedic Aryans.

Status
Closed
Aug 2017
USA
@EternalWay

Thanks for taking time to post on philosophy, a subject of which I have no knowledge.

On the history side there was intense interaction between Greek and Indian civilizations for 600 years in antiquity. This was during Hellenistic Greece (323-146 BCE), Roman Greece (146-27 BCE), and early Roman Empire (26 BCE to ~300 CE). In one area at least the Greeks had deep influence on India, which is Indian astronomy.

If one probes, there will be some parallels in philosophy as well.
Philosophical and religious Influences tended to flow from India to the Greeks in contrast with those in art and astronomy. Its possible there were Greek philosophical influences but there's little evidence for that claim to my knowledge. Most of the Indian schools of thought have fairly well defined antecedents within the subcontinent.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Yes mythology also.

The Hindu Kamadeva and Greek Cupid both have a bow and arrow.

Similarly, when Greeks came in c. 300 BCE; they were able to use names of Greek Gods for Indian ones as there was - presumably - much similarity between them: Herakles and Dionysus. Though Indian religion had changed so much that we can identify them with any of the present-day Indian.
Small correction - Cupid is the Latin god. Eros was the Greek equivalent.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Parashara was known as the "limping sage". He had his leg wounded during an attack on his āśrama. When Sage Parashara was walking through a dense forest he and his students were attacked by wolves. He was unable to get away in his old age with a lame leg he left this world merging into the wolves." (I think that means being eaten up by wolves)
Serves him just right. Got served with his just desserts. Got his karma delivered back to him on a plate. Poetic justice for him. For having lived his life as a crude oaf.

Maybe his last batch of 'students' - all sick & tired of his brutish shenanigans - took him to his 'last supper', deliberately taking a route through a known wolf infested zone. They just threw out some bloddy meat & bone for bait, then left him to his own bloddy fate.😎

Last edited:

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Sure Sage VedaVyasa was the son of Sage Parashara, but Parashara never married Satyavati. It was a trade off. The deal between them was 'you sleep with me, I will cure your off your bad smell'.
Thanks for the RV hymn reference, though it does not tell me anything new. Hazy, very hazy.
Hah, even Sayana gives two meanings and not one. That is what happens when things are separated by time and distance. Nobody knows the real meaning. If you have found something on eight Adityas and Rudra hunting Prajapati, then you have not described it here.
Regardless of stories about ParAsharA's adventures, VEdaVyAsa or PArAsharya was raised as a son of ParAshara and was a disciple of JAtukarNya. . Doesn't it seem strange to you that a fisherwoman would become the queen of Shantanu? The same Satyavati summons VyAsa to continue the progeny of Shantanu when VichitravIrya dies, and so the depiction of Satyavati as a poor fisherwoman doesn't seem to fit in the grand scheme of things.

There are many other stories that mention that a certain sage blesses an unmarried girl with a child by giving her a mantra. I do not know if this was an indirect mention of illicit affair or something different. The same stories have no issues in mentioning when a Rishi continues a king's progeny by way of niyOga.

Anyway, the main point is that VyAsa was a Rishi (much to your disappointment) as mentioned not just by the Puranas, but also by the BrhadAraNyaka upanishat.

You find the RV hymns hazy because they do not portray Arctic in them. These are hymns and they would be like that. You should read better translations and additional materials to make more sense of it. I did not have time to type up the whole thing so I gave you the references of the hymns. I will post the additional material later.

Oct 2015
India
Small correction - Cupid is the Latin god. Eros was the Greek equivalent.
Hmm, I stand corrected. Eros is the Greek God and carried bow & arrow in some depictions. It appears Indian Kamadeva has come from Eros because the mythology appended him is deeper in Greek.

Thanks

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
.. and so the depiction of Satyavati as a poor fisherwoman doesn't seem to fit in the grand scheme of things.
.. I do not know if this was an indirect mention of illicit affair or something different.

Anyway, the main point is that VyAsa was a Rishi (much to your disappointment) as mentioned not just by the Puranas, but also by the BrhadAraNyaka upanishat.

You find the RV hymns hazy because they do not portray Arctic in them. These are hymns and they would be like that.
Well, that is what the story is. There are so many strange things in (all) scriptures. I have stopped being surprised by them. If there was no sex, who fathered the child? Niyoga in special circumstances was accepted in Hinduism. Sage VedaVyasa was not born with just a blessing, covering the island with fog was intentional or perhaps accidental (it may have been winter season). :)

That Sage VedaVyasa was a Rishi/Maharshi and an avatara of Lord Vishnu, who dictated SrimadBhagawatham to Lord Ganesha is in no way disappointment to me. It is a very wise, beautiful book. As I have mentioned in the forum many a times, a copy of Gita Press SrimadBhagawatham which was printed before my birth (1942) and which was the first scripture that I read in my childhood and sometimes refer to even now is one of my most precious possessions. It has had a lasting effect on my life. Atreya, I am a practicing, orthodox, RSS/BJP supporting Hindu, so what if I am an Advaitist and an Atheist. An advaitist should be by definition an atheist. Only 'One', no duality of God and men. That is 'Dvaita'. :D

I understand RigVeda very well. I do not need the 'Arya Samaj' type contrived explanation of RigVeda. Arctic is very much there in RigVeda for the four reasons that I have mentioned. You can close your eyes to them.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Hmm, I stand corrected. Eros is the Greek God and carried bow & arrow in some depictions. It appears Indian Kamadeva has come from Eros because the mythology appended him is deeper in Greek.
Why from Greeks and not from the PIE/IE from which we also got 'Kamadeva'? Kamadeva is mentioned in RigVeda.

"Yatrānandāśca modāśca mudaḥ pramuda āsate l kāmasya yatrāptāḥ kāmāstatra māmamṛtaṃ kṛidhīndrāyendo parisrava ll"
Make me immortal in that realm where happiness and transports, where oys and felicities combine, and longing wishes are fulfilled. Flow, Indu, flow for Indra's sake.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 9: HYMN CXIII. Soma Pavamana.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Why from Greeks and not from the PIE/IE from which we also got 'Kamadeva'? Kamadeva is mentioned in RigVeda.

"Yatrānandāśca modāśca mudaḥ pramuda āsate l kāmasya yatrāptāḥ kāmāstatra māmamṛtaṃ kṛidhīndrāyendo parisrava ll"
Make me immortal in that realm where happiness and transports, where oys and felicities combine, and longing wishes are fulfilled. Flow, Indu, flow for Indra's sake.
In Greek mythology Eros is handsome, athletic and young, personification of manly physique and quite unlike the fat boy Cupid - sounds more like your Kama guy.

He is the son of Aphrodite, Goddess of Love, and husband of Psyche whom Aphrodite dislikes and sets many challenges. Love triumphs, Psyche passes all the tests and joins Eros.

Oct 2015
India

Yes @Aupmanyav . This too seems right. Here is the frequency of word "Kama", related to Kamadev in the four Samhitas:
Rig Veda: Nil as per my check. (However, your translation of 9.113 says so).

Sam Veda Samhita: Nil as per my check

Yajur Veda Samhita (Krishna branch): Nil as per my check.

Yajur Veda Samhita (Shukla branch): two times. See Kama - AncientVoice

Atharva Ved Samhita: 42 times. See Kama - AncientVoice
Following hymns in Arthava Ved samhita are clearly dedicated to Kamadeva:

Hymn 3.29 : Av03 H20 - AncientVoice

Hymn 9.2: Av09 H1 - AncientVoice

Hymn 19.52: Av19 H50 - AncientVoice

Since Atharva Ved Samhita was composed before the arrival of Greeks, origin in PIE is more likely.

Regards

Rajeev

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions