Rigveda on Conquest of India by Vedic Aryans.

Status
Closed
May 2019
Earth
Where did it says that Indra destroyed the forts of the Non aryans ? I am very interested in this verse.
Kaushik, Meghavan, Purander, Brahman, Ishwar(heard, but not sure), Sakra etc are names used for Indra by Rigvedic rishis.

so purander is not just used once ina single hymn, its used in many hymns when rishis describe battles.

based on book 3 alone i say Indra and Meghavan are two most widely used name from indra, Sakra and purunder comes next.

Jun 2019
ru
indra is called purunder, destroyer of 100 forts, i have to read verything again but i am sure i have seen hymns saying how indra alongside Meghavis(indra worshipers) destroyed forts of non aryans.
it's not mean "conquest", it's could be just war

And this is about Vritra, dragon, "invider"

Reactions: Ashoka maurya
May 2019
Earth
Kuru was practically situated close to haryana region of today, all kingdoms expanded, magadh expanded by absorbing Kikata and Kosala expanded by absorbing Kasi.

regards
kuru is called land of kuru kurukshatra since birth of Indian civilization, result of merger of puru-bharata tribes of rigvedic age after they settled in the region.

as i said before, vishwamitra when he called kikatas non aryans he was living in this region of north west india.

unlike puranic storybooks rigvedic sages were just humans without any divine 3rd eye myths so i am sure he was refering to people who were living just next to Kurukshatriya.

Mar 2019
KL
no varanasi/kasi is not mentioned in rigveda, atleast not directly, i just checked, but some academics are claiming its mentioned indirectly.

regards

Jun 2019
ru
Btw, this myth, about battle of hero and dragon is main aryan myth. It covers all indo-european peoples, and more.
For example, Appolo on Parnassus
In russian, ukrainian folklor in form of "bogatyr Iliya Muromets against 3-headed dragon" and "God Perun against Veles"
In Friedrich Schiller's heroic sources, that is something from german mythology
And even in christianity it's borrowed in form of Saint George and, mayby in book of genesis, as Expulsion from the Garden of Eden

Reactions: Ashoka maurya
Oct 2015
India
Awesome! Would you be kind enough to quote the hymn that talks about the "movement" of Bharatas "into" India?
Dear Aatreya,

Well I was referring to 3.33.

It is a lovely romantic hymn sung by Rishi Vishwamitra. He prays to Vipāś (Beas) River and Sutudri (Sutlej) River to reduce water-level to below the height of cart-axles enabling the Bhaaratas to cross the rivers. In return, the rivers ask him, the poet, not to forget them so that posterity will remember them for allowing the passage.

So Vishwamitra composed the hymn 3.33 about the two rivers and Bhaaratas fording them. And surprisingly, today, about 3500 years down the road, the hymn is still alive in our memory.

Please do offer your analysis.

Regards

Rajeev

Translation by Griffith:

8 Never forget this word of thine, O singer, which future generations shall reecho.
In hymns, O bard, show us thy loving kindness. Humble us not mid men. To thee be honour!

9 List quickly, Sisters, to the bard who cometh to you from far away with car and wagon.
Bow lowly down; be easy to be traversed stay, Rivers, with your floods below our axles.

10 Yea, we will listen to thy words, O singer. With wain and car from far away thou comest.
Low, like a nursing mother, will I bend me, and yield me as a maiden to her lover.

11 Soon as the Bharatas have fared across thee, the warrior band, urged on and sped by Indra,
Then let your streams flow on in rapid motion. I crave your favour who deserve our worship.

12 The warrior host, the Bharatas, fared over the singer won the favour of the Rivers.
Swell with your billows, hasting, pouring riches. Fill full your channels, and roll swiftly onward.

13 So let your wave bear up the pins, and ye, O Waters, spare the thongs;
And never may the pair of Bulls, harmless and sinless, waste away.

References:

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv03033.htm

http://www.ncert.nic.in/ncerts/l/fess105.pdf

Status
Closed