Road Bridge from the USA to Europe

Status
Closed
Jul 2016
USA
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" is a line from a poem inscribed on the statue of liberty.

"we'll demonise them until the cows come home" refers current popular opinion towards the former.
I figured that was what he meant, I just wanted him to clarify before I pounced on such an ridiculous suggestion.

The poem was written in a contest to try to help raise money to build the pedestal for the Statue of Liberty. It wasn't American policy. And it strictly referred to legal immigrants coming through the primary immigration hub in the Eastern seaboard. It did not refer to individuals breaking into the USA from the open and largely unguarded southern border during the dead of night by hightailing it through the desert and then trying to remain off the grid because they committed a crime and fear deportation. Unless they're in specific states where they get not only driver licenses, access to taxpayer healthcare, but also the ability to vote.

Ellis Island is your house front door. Immigrants are visitors knocking on the door. Would you be okay with visitors entering through the front door? Sure, that's what its there for. That's why there is a mat on the floor saying "Welcome," which is similar to the Statue of Liberty. But the point is you control who enters and more importantly, who doesn't. What if someone broke in through a back window of your house and then decided to live in your basement without your permission. Are they welcome? Are you going to pay for them to live in your house after they broke in illegally? Are you going to classify them the same as whomever knocked on your front door and asked to come in? The obvious answer is no.

But that's racist!

Dec 2015
USA
Cost are way low, I would say the project would cost more like a trillion dollars. It is like when they said the James Wbb telecopd would cost a mere $1.5 billion, which was a pipe dream when the Hubble cost $8 - 10 billion. The James Webb cost are now $10 billion and climbing. My point is that people routinely tlgrsatlyb underestimate the cost of cutting edge projects like this.

I would say by the time the project is done, it will cost $1.75 trillion dollars or more. It won't make sense to build the transatlantic tunnel until a network of hypersonic train tunnels are built on the continents, then it would make sense building this tunnel. I would say we are a hundred years away from building the intercontinental tunnel network seen in Arthur C. Clarke's Rescue Party story.

By the way, did you know there was a film mDe in the 30's about building a transatlantic tunnel in the futtue? Not particularly good movie, dwelt more on the interpersonal drama rather than the science. But since you are interested in the topic you might want to look it up. Note at the time the movie was made there were not a lot of intercontinental flights, and most people still traveled by train instead of planes.
I think that the topic of space telescopes is very interesting. Its a worthy topic. Space Projects can be on the level of for example an Intercontinental tunnel, or yes even a Intercontinental road bridge. Now the idea of a Intercontinental Road bridge between England and the USA is as I admit IMO more radical compared to the idea of a Intercontinental tunnel between England and The USA. I admit the idea of a Road bridge as opposed to a Tunnel, is something that appeals to me as exotic. The thought of driving the Intercontinental Highway is very appealing to me. Imagine driving from New York to London and through the ride you see at times the waves of the Atlantic Ocean brush up against the strongest bridge one can ever imagine, you may even see Sharks or Whales come up at some point in the distance....this is a very romantic thought to me. Perhaps the Road bridge idea between England and The USA may take 1000 years or more and could only be had if we had different types of technologies, it would not be concrete or steel running across the ocean but perhaps something else. The tunnel idea is more feasible though I feel.

I believe the film you are speaking of from the 1930s is the British film "The Tunnel" which is based on the 1913 novel by the German Author Bernhard Kellermann. I have not read the film nor the book but I take great interest in both. We can see that along with Kellerman from the early 20th century, that other people of history some from before Kellermann were thinking of ways to connect Continents.

Last edited:
Mar 2018
UK
I figured that was what he meant, I just wanted him to clarify before I pounced on such an ridiculous suggestion.

The poem was written in a contest to try to help raise money to build the pedestal for the Statue of Liberty. It wasn't American policy. And it strictly referred to legal immigrants coming through the primary immigration hub in the Eastern seaboard. It did not refer to individuals breaking into the USA from the open and largely unguarded southern border during the dead of night by hightailing it through the desert and then trying to remain off the grid because they committed a crime and fear deportation. Unless they're in specific states where they get not only driver licenses, access to taxpayer healthcare, but also the ability to vote.

Ellis Island is your house front door. Immigrants are visitors knocking on the door. Would you be okay with visitors entering through the front door? Sure, that's what its there for. That's why there is a mat on the floor saying "Welcome," which is similar to the Statue of Liberty. But the point is you control who enters and more importantly, who doesn't. What if someone broke in through a back window of your house and then decided to live in your basement without your permission. Are they welcome? Are you going to pay for them to live in your house after they broke in illegally? Are you going to classify them the same as whomever knocked on your front door and asked to come in? The obvious answer is no.

But that's racist!
Well that touched a nerve...

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
There is some misunderstanding about technological projects
they are less about spending plenty of money but about a thought experiment
what if ?
it does put a theoretical problem and offer some possible theoretical solutions

could something like that be done .... maybe , if ?
should something like that be done ....are you kidding ?
not all university exams are reality related
I had one where the question was to calculate the load stress on a bridge with a one ton load carried by an elephant
a post scriptum mentioned that for the calculation the weight of the elephant should be disregarded

Jan 2014
Westmorland
It did not refer to individuals breaking into the USA from the open and largely unguarded southern border during the dead of night by hightailing it through the desert and then trying to remain off the grid because they committed a crime and fear deportation. Unless they're in specific states where they get not only driver licenses, access to taxpayer healthcare, but also the ability to vote.

But that isn't what you said. What you said was that you wanted to send migrants and refugees (or, as you put it, "migrants" and "refugees", clearly implying that you think that the poor buggers who try and get into your country in search of a better life are neither) to Europe, because apparently we always take them.

It just amused me to hear yet another example of this sort of witless 'othering' emanating from the self-appointed Land of the Free. The clear implication of your first paragraph is that everyone who tries to come across your southern border is a criminal. That's what some people over here say about the people trying to get in to Britain from camps along the French coast. It isn't true. Some of them might well be, but that doesn't mean all (or even most of them) are. I accept that it equally isn't true that every person trying to get in to either Britain or the US is genuinely fleeing persecution. What most of them seem to want is a better life. 'Othering' them all as scumbags, drug dealers, criminals or leeches plays well to a bombastic and jingoistic narrative which is generally far more concerned about winning votes that about facts, but is hardly becoming of intelligent debate.

Ellis Island is only your front door if you are coming in to the USA from Europe. Just like Dover is for us (notwithstaning that we are part of Europe). But the implication in your second paragraph that those who come in across your southern border are somehow cheating because they aren't coming in via Ellis Island is just facile. So too is the analogy to housebreaking. Are you really suggesting that all of the US is your personal basement? Could you really go and live uninvited in someone else's house in (say) Seattle and when the owner objected say "it's fine - I'm a US citizen so I have every right to be here"? I don't think so.

Jul 2016
USA
But that isn't what you said. What you said was that you wanted to send migrants and refugees (or, as you put it, "migrants" and "refugees", clearly implying that you think that the poor buggers who try and get into your country in search of a better life are neither) to Europe, because apparently we always take them.

It just amused me to hear yet another example of this sort of witless 'othering' emanating from the self-appointed Land of the Free. The clear implication of your first paragraph is that everyone who tries to come across your southern border is a criminal. That's what some people over here say about the people trying to get in to Britain from camps along the French coast. It isn't true. Some of them might well be, but that doesn't mean all (or even most of them) are. I accept that it equally isn't true that every person trying to get in to either Britain or the US is genuinely fleeing persecution. What most of them seem to want is a better life. 'Othering' them all as scumbags, drug dealers, criminals or leeches plays well to a bombastic and jingoistic narrative which is generally far more concerned about winning votes that about facts, but is hardly becoming of intelligent debate.

Ellis Island is only your front door if you are coming in to the USA from Europe. Just like Dover is for us (notwithstaning that we are part of Europe). But the implication in your second paragraph that those who come in across your southern border are somehow cheating because they aren't coming in via Ellis Island is just facile. So too is the analogy to housebreaking. Are you really suggesting that all of the US is your personal basement? Could you really go and live uninvited in someone else's house in (say) Seattle and when the owner objected say "it's fine - I'm a US citizen so I have every right to be here"? I don't think so.
You understand what illegal means, right? That America has legal immigration, right? And when individuals sneak in, illegally, they'll not doing it legally, regardless of suddenly they call themselves refugees or migrants or any other name that makes bleeding hearts cream themselves in attempting to justify illegally entering a country. Hence why I'd ship them to Europe, because your countries can't and won't turn them away, so they can be your problems.

You want to a enter a country from outside? Fine. Do it legally. If that country prevents it, that answers the question about whether or not you should go there. I wouldn't dream of illegally entering your country any more than i would entering your house.

And since nobody is stupid enough to not have locked doors on their house to keep out unwanted individuals, I know you all understand this. Just because some of you decided to weaponize mass illegal immigration as you latest cause de celebre doesn't mean I'm going to buy into it. Nope, sorry.

Jan 2019
USA

The second they cross the border illegally, they are criminals. It doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree with a law, what matters is that it exists.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions