Robert G. McCubbin old west collection broken up

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Fascinating stuff ,thanks for the post.
IS there no plausible evidence that Billy The Kid was not killed by Pat Garret?

That's a famous photo, and I think the only one which is undisputed. I understand that the more recent discovery claiming to show Billy playing croquet is controversial.

Would love to see the provenance of the knife.

Are photos of Bass Reeves especially valuable?

Sep 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
The evidence is very strong that he was killed by Pat Garrett. His body was on display for public viewing and the entire town (even those not friendly with him) had an opportunity to view the body. The he survived stuff is just wishful thinking (kind of like with Jesse James or Elvis).

And yes, the photo above (which sold for $2.3 million in 2003, is the only authenticated photo of the Kid (don't get me started on the alleged croquet photo).

The provenance for the knife, taken from the auction website, is:

"
PROVENANCE: Paulita Maxwell Jaramillo to her daughter Adelina Jaramillo Welborn, to her daughter Ollie Swanson, to her daughter Susan Swanson Wortham, to Frederick Nolan to Robert McCubbin.

Included with the lot:
• Handwritten testimony signed by Deluvina Maxwell and Adelina J. Welborn, March 20, 1926.
• Transcribed (typed) account by Deluvina Maxwell to J. Evetts Haley, June 24, 1927.
• Affidavit of Ursula Pacheco Y. Baca, August 10, 1951.
• Affidavit of Carndido Gutierres, September 19, 1951.
• Book: “Genealogical and Historical Data of the Jaramillo Family: Almost Four Centuries in New Mexico 1598-1989” by Pauline Jaramillo.
• Original correspondence between Frederick Nolan and Pauline Jaramillo, and Nolan and Robert Swanson, beginning in 1990, detailing Nolan first locating and then negotiating for the purchase of the knife.
• FedEx label from Susan Wortham to Frederick Nolan for an “Antique Knife.”
• Affidavit of Robert S. Swanson, July 13, 1997 upon the sale of the knife to Frederick Nolan, with accompanying original, signed photographs identifying the knife.
• Bob McCubbin’s personal ephemera and memorabilia regarding the knife, including photographs from the day he took ownership of the artifact from Frederick Nolan in Tombstone, Arizona, September 25, 1999.

"At that moment a man sprang quickly into the door, looking back, and called twice in Spanish, “Who comes there?” No one replied and he came on in. He was bareheaded. From his step I could perceive he was either barefooted or in his stocking feet, and held a revolver in his right hand and a butcher knife in his left.”
-- From "An Authentic Life of Billy the Kid the Noted Desperado of the Southwest," by Pat F. Garrett, 1882.

“The night he was killed Billy came in hungry, went down with a butcher knife to get some meat at Pete Maxwell’s. He told the people he was going down to get the meat and took a knife and went down to Pete's room. After passing the men waiting outside, he went into Maxwell’s room where Garrett was and he shot him.”
-- From Deluvina Maxwell’s oral account, June 24, 1927.

“We there saw a man lying stretched out upon his back dead in the middle of the room, with a six-shooter lying at his right hand and a butcher knife at the left.”
-- From “The True Story of the Death of ‘Billy the Kid’ Notorious New Mexico Outlaw,” by John W. Poe, 1919."

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
As to Reeves, I don't know enough about him to answer that, but a photo including Reeves sold for only $600 at the above mentioned auction: Photograph of the Federal Official Family of Muscogee, I.T. | Old West Events

That said, it looks like a photo that there may have been many copies of, which would obviously reduce the price.
Provenance looks pretty good.

I suspected as much about Bass Reeves. Imo ,because he was black his fascinating life has been pretty much ignored until recently. Had he been white, I suspect he would have become a household name,. I think he's worthier than say the louche character Wyatt Earp.

Sep 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I did a quick search for Bass Reeves photos and there's at least one more copy of the Reeves photo (owned by the Oklahoma Historical Society) that was for sales, so it's not really fair to make a judgement on what a one of a kind Reeves photo would go for.

I can't speak for other collectors, but I often purchase photos because I want to use them in a publication, so even if Reeves was one of my main two or three interests, I wouldn't have bid even $600 unless it was signed by Reeves.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I did a quick search for Bass Reeves photos and there's at least one more copy of the Reeves photo (owned by the Oklahoma Historical Society) that was for sales, so it's not really fair to make a judgement on what a one of a kind Reeves photo would go for.

I can't speak for other collectors, but I often purchase photos because I want to use them in a publication, so even if Reeves was one of my main two or three interests, I wouldn't have bid even $600 unless it was signed by Reeves.
Thank you for the information.