Rocked that History Exam! :D

Dec 2009
Moscow Idaho, USA
I just got my History 482: Japan since 1600 midterm back...

151 out of 150... booyah :cool:

We had 6 identifications and an essay question. Took me about an hour and ten minutes to do. Filled up 8 pages worth of info. Talked about:

Shinto
Major Tokugawa policies toward the Daimyo
Treaty of Kanagawa and Harris Treaty
Early Meiji government's New Policies
Treaty of Shimonoseki and Treaty of Portsmouth
Shidehara Diplomacy vs. Tanaka Diplomacy

then my essay was on the major characteristics of the Tokugawa period (1604 - 1868) (social, cultural, and political developments) and how effective the Tokugawa polcies were and what made the Tokugawa rule vulnerable to western challenge in the mid 19th Century.

(Then got a 95% on my Hist 444: Ancient Greek Civilization test)...

Kinda liking this History major thing :) Finally found something thats interesting and I'm good at :D

Jul 2008
Hi Titan that is impressive, well done. It shows you really know your stuff, congratulations

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
I just got my History 482: Japan since 1600 midterm back...

151 out of 150... booyah :cool:

We had 6 identifications and an essay question. Took me about an hour and ten minutes to do. Filled up 8 pages worth of info. Talked about:

Shinto
Major Tokugawa policies toward the Daimyo
Treaty of Kanagawa and Harris Treaty
Early Meiji government's New Policies
Treaty of Shimonoseki and Treaty of Portsmouth
Shidehara Diplomacy vs. Tanaka Diplomacy

then my essay was on the major characteristics of the Tokugawa period (1604 - 1868) (social, cultural, and political developments) and how effective the Tokugawa polcies were and what made the Tokugawa rule vulnerable to western challenge in the mid 19th Century.

(Then got a 95% on my Hist 444: Ancient Greek Civilization test)...

Kinda liking this History major thing :) Finally found something thats interesting and I'm good at :D
What you write about tokugawa period, it was a vast, odd period.

Did you write about the period leading up to it, the Sengoku period, that is my favorite. :D

Dec 2009
Moscow Idaho, USA
What you write about tokugawa period, it was a vast, odd period.

Did you write about the period leading up to it, the Sengoku period, that is my favorite. :D
I wrote about how it was able to unify the Daimyo in 1603 by Ieyasu Tokugawa. Then began implementing policies that forced control on the Japanese people and locked Japan. Kind of attempted to keep Japan a "pure Japan" namely by kicking out the English, Portuguese, and Spaniards and began executing Christians. By 1634 gun control policies were implemented and I believe by 1635 Japanese were banned from traveling abroad. However these policies brought a peace to Japan which was unknown since... well almost from the start, most notable the period of the Warring States during the Ashikaga Bakufu.

A major part of their policies were aimed at the Daimyo which included limited size of Samurai armies, no inter Daimyo alliances, and the "temporary residence." The Tokugawa also used Buddhist temples to keep track of people by forcing them to be signed with a temple.

I obviously explained more and used more details but that was the jist of it. If you want I can just type out the essay I wrote see what you guys think :)

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
Good going titan. I am afraid I know close to nothing about that area of history!

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
I wrote about how it was able to unify the Daimyo in 1603 by Ieyasu Tokugawa. Then began implementing policies that forced control on the Japanese people and locked Japan. Kind of attempted to keep Japan a "pure Japan" namely by kicking out the English, Portuguese, and Spaniards and began executing Christians. By 1634 gun control policies were implemented and I believe by 1635 Japanese were banned from traveling abroad. However these policies brought a peace to Japan which was unknown since... well almost from the start, most notable the period of the Warring States during the Ashikaga Bakufu.

A major part of their policies were aimed at the Daimyo which included limited size of Samurai armies, no inter Daimyo alliances, and the "temporary residence." The Tokugawa also used Buddhist temples to keep track of people by forcing them to be signed with a temple.

I obviously explained more and used more details but that was the jist of it. If you want I can just type out the essay I wrote see what you guys think :)
Sure let us have a look, it sounds interesting :)