Rohilla Rajputs?

Aug 2014
pakistan
What is their history?

I am talking about this clan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohilla_Rajputs

Rohilkhand got its name from Afghans settlers who came from "Roh", the medieval name for mountainous abode of Pashtuns. Its old name was Ketehr not Rohilkhand. The First Afghans who were called ''Rohilla" were from Daudzai tribe, whose chiefs were mansabdars of Mughals and were given lands in Rohilkhand as Jagir by ShahJahan after the revolt of Katehria Rajputs. These Daudzai chiefs, Bahadur Khan, Darya Khan, Diler Khan, Kamaludin Khan etc are titled Rohilla in the Mughal sources. Mughal policy was to counter-balance Rajput threat with Afghans in this region.

These Katehria Rajputs belonged to Bachal, Gaur, Chauhan and Rathore clans. But where were these Rohilla Rajputs? or Ketehria Rajputs renamed themselves to Rohilla-Rajputs?.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
pakistan
Pretty sure, they are just Rajputs who live in mountainous regions.
But there are no mountains in Katehr or Rohilkhand where they live, the Doaba. Rohilkhand is not named because it has mountains, it is named after settlers from mountain ranges of North-west below hindu kush.

Aug 2014
pakistan
Rohilla Rajputs are Pathans who converted to Hinduism. Muslim Pathans are called justPathans in India and Hindu Pathans are called Rohilla Rajputs.
No such event occurred in history in which Rohilla Afghans of Doaba converted to Hindu faith. But British censuses shows that , it was trend among Rajputs to call themselves Pathans after accepting Islam.

Aug 2014
pakistan
According to Iqbal Hussain, in his research book "Rise of Ruhela chieftainciess",.... in the armies of Afghans i.e Rohillas, Katehria Rajputs were also enlisted as well as Hindus of kumaon.

I am sure those Hindu subordinates of Rohillas stared calling themselves Rohilla after their masters

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Azad, I think you are right. Migrants from Afghanistan (Roh), probably Scythians (Saka/Kushana), who were given Rajput status because of their martial background. It must have happened long back, probably during or earlier than the Gupta period, also much before establishment of Islam.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
So, the Kathyats were in Bans Bareilly before the advent of Muslims. The question is from where these Kathayats came and when. I still feel that the story is much older and that it begins with the Scythians and Kushanas in or before Gupta period.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I might add here that one Najib Khan Rohila was a very aggressive functionary at the court of the Moghul Emperor Shah Alam ( IIRC son of Aurangzeb ). Najib Khan had the temerity of snatching the jewllery from the necks of the members of the imperial harem when certain amounts due him were not paid by the emperor who was, by then, in a poor condition. Najib Khan invited Ahmed Shah Abdali, emir of Kabul to India telling him that easy loot was available here.
The Marathas then intervened by coming up with a big army from the south. Their army rampaged in Delhi, with Abdali being busy in Rohilkhand.The Marathas were greatly hampered by thousands of camp-followers and the wives of the soldiers who had come with foolish ideas of a northern pilgrimage. They travelled northwards towards Kurukshetra for taking religious baths in the tank there. Meanwhile Abdali crossed the Yamuna river and his army now stood between the Maratha army and Delhi. Likewise Abdali could not get back to Kabul unless he disposed off the Maratha army. A stalemate resulted for some months, with the Marathas getting into trouble for want of fodder for the horses and food for the army.Anyway battle was joined between the two in Januay 1761 at Panipat, resulting in a big defeat for the Marathas, but not before they had mauled the Pathan army severely.
Diler Khan was a major chief in the army of Aurangzeb and he came down to the Deccan along with aurangzeb to subdue the Marathas.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Roh, variously, Peshawar, mountaineous region between Chazni and Kandhar. What about Rohri, Sukkur, Paskistan or Rohru, Himachal Pradesh?

Similar History Discussions