Roman red baked brick construction and Indian connection

Mar 2019
KL
i was wondering how romans suddenly got the idea of shifting their construction material from mud brick to the red brick, i have tried to research how romans innovated the construction of their architecture using red bricks but i have only got a date of 38 BC or something mentioning as date when romans started constructing using baked red bricks. curious thing is, neither the greeks, nor the middle eastern were known for their construction using baked bricks but only mud bricks, some have sited few greek ruins which were constructed out of red bricks but this may have less credibility since, greeks were not known for their red brick construction and the romans overran greek territories and built upon the remains of the previous greeks.

As far as baked red brick is concerned, only indians were constructing their architecture using them since bronze age, so is there a chance that its innovation went from india and became popular in roman europe and then predominant form of construction in europe?.

It should be noted that kiln baked bricks can vary in colour, the burnt brick maybe of varying colours, so the particular red brick does tell that probably romans got the technical know how from the indians.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
Terracotta has been used all over the world for at least four thousand years. In Italy, the Etruscans were making buildings from it well before Rome was founded. It is hardly a complicated invention; you make a brick out of red clay and bake it in a fire. You don't even need a kiln; I've made it myself in a small camp fire. There is no special knowledge that the Indians could have passed on to anyone.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
The Etruscans made entire buildings, including the roof tiles, from terracotta. Why would you think that a simple brick is harder to make than a model?

Aug 2014
Australia
Terracotta bricks and tiles were used in Greece and Egypt and Sumeria. In Sumeria at Ur, the buildings constructed during the reign of Kurigalzu I were made of baked bricks. In ancient Greece they mainly made roof tiles from it. In Egypt there were baked bricks found at the ruins of Nebesheh and Defenneh.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
KL
i dont think sumerians, egyptians and the greeks used fired bricks probably only rarely, im not aware that the greeks used fired bricks at all, any architecture of the greeks using fired bricks you can reference, because i cant find one, all their constructions have been done using mud bricks until the romans, secondly red bricks as i have already elaborated were different then the ones used in the middle east so must have employed using a different firing method or a different material.

regards

Aug 2014
Australia
The only time the temperature is important is if a glaze is applied. The brick itself doesn't even need a kiln. The temperature of a regular camp fire is more than sufficient to fire a brick.

Similar History Discussions