Romans invented Cricket!

Feb 2011
Scotland
We tend to associate this with 18th-19th century England- but surely the images do not lie? :)

Antoninianus of Gordian III - c242CE Hercules playing a forward defensive shot. It's supposedly a club- but in that position? It's a cricket bat.
Gordian III VIRTVTI AVGVSTI Antoninianus Hercules forward defesnive.jpg

Denarius of Pertinax- 193 CE Umpire replacing bails on wicket.

Pertinax wicket.jpg

Julius Caesar- c43 BCE ball hits wicket- clean bowled!
Julius Caesar- clean bowled.jpg

Cn Cornelius Lentulus- denarius - 76BCE clean bowled
Cn Corn Lentulus- clean bowled.jpg

Feb 2011
Scotland
So they’re to blame...
Indeed yes! The sublime click of leather upon willow, as the cherry is caressed toward the limes, the clavae armigeri in their togae candidae and caligae thundering down the wicket...the polar opposite of the gladiatorial ludae, the Romans clearly had more depth than we previously imagined.

Games between Patricians and Plebeians, the ancient equivalent of Gentlemen v Players.

The famous song..." Cricket, lovely cricket.....at Rome where I saw it...."

After that- they just had to send out expeditions to find Australia.... the well attested trading voyages to Sri Lanka and beyond- tours to the subcontinent, and hoping to find that opposition down under....

Mar 2016
Australia
Indeed yes! The sublime click of leather upon willow, as the cherry is caressed toward the limes, the clavae armigeri in their togae candidae and caligae thundering down the wicket...the polar opposite of the gladiatorial ludae, the Romans clearly had more depth than we previous imagined.

Games between Patricians and Plebeians, the ancient equivalent of Gentlemen v Players.

The famous song..." Cricket, lovely cricket.....at Rome where I saw it...."

After that- they just had to send out expeditions to find Australia....
I love Roman history but not even the Romans could get me to enjoy cricket, unfortunately.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
They might have invented some type of it ....

but the Aussies 'perfected' the modern game .... .

1551929867029.png

Reactions: benzev

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I love Roman history but not even the Romans could get me to enjoy cricket, unfortunately.

I was FORCED to play it , as a junior .

The best part is being out on a nice sunny day , clear air, white fluffy clouds cruising along in a deep blue sky ..... until , in the far distance ;

" Smith ! ..... Smith ! ..... Oi ! SMITH ! Ya, blood yidiot ! "

Wait ! My Name is Smith < looks down, ball is rolling towards feet, in the distance two batsman are running back and forwards and the others seem irate and angry at me . I pick the ball up and do a bad throw towards the guy with the big gloves on . >

Reactions: benzev and Zanis

Peter Graham

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Westmorland
Pretty sure Blowers cut his teeth at the Colosseum in 384 AD when Britannia Secunda hammered Gallia Narbonensis 4 games to 1 in the five match Praefecture Test series. Unfortunately, three years later most of the victorious team were eviscerated by the Picts during the Barbarian Conspiracy. Still, the series cemented the reputation of Yorkshire cricket and established the bedrock on which Boycottus Optimus Maximus was later able to rise to pre-eminence. Those were the days - when sportsmanship reigned supreme and the tawdry schoolboy antics of sledging and ball-tampering were as nothing compared to the possibility of being summarily executed at the whim of the Emperor if you dropped a catch.