Romans invented Cricket!

Nov 2008
England
You have to give credit to Hengest, though. In the first test match they say he delivered a mean googly and bowled Vortigern out for a duck. Some say it was a golden duck, but I`m not sure.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Actually I think you'll find that, as with most things supposedly Roman, it's origins are actually Greek. Recent research has provided conclusive evidence that the Venus de Milo originally depicted the Godess in the act of playing a forward defensive stroke. Then there's Titian's Renaissance depiction of Bacchus as a right arm seamer (based on a now lost sculpture). Titian | Bacchus and Ariadne | NG35 | National Gallery, London

Actually I think you'll find that, as with most things supposedly Greek, it's origins are actually Egyptian .

Not many people realize the true origin or basketball either !

1552419289273.png

Jan 2016
Ohio
It seems to me the British are responsible for most of the popular sports : football, rugby, badminton, tennis, maybe more.
you mean SOCCER. That is right! lol

According to historical research, soccer was a term coined by the British as a nickname for Association Football during the late 19th/early 20th century.

They just decided to change it to football cause soccer was becoming to "American".

People need to quit blaming us Americans. :crying:

Feb 2017
Devon, UK
you mean SOCCER. That is right! lol

According to historical research, soccer was a term coined by the British as a nickname for Association Football during the late 19th/early 20th century.

They just decided to change it to football cause soccer was becoming to "American".

People need to quit blaming us Americans. :crying:
Nobody's blaming the Americans (unless it's out of habit), 'soccer' was essentially a term used by the upper classes and ex-public (that's private to those elsewhere) schoolboys to differentiate it from 'rugger' (or Rugby football). The working classes (and everybody else) very sensibly called the game that involved more kicking 'football' and the other one 'rugby', hence using the term 'soccer' is seen as a bit snooty.

Jan 2014
Westmorland
You have to give credit to Hengest, though. In the first test match they say he delivered a mean googly and bowled Vortigern out for a duck. Some say it was a golden duck, but I`m not sure.
True enough. Vortigern was a dreadful player and why Gloucestershire kept him as their opener for so long is a complete mystery. Something to do with Rowena and the selectors, I'll be bound.

Hengest was undoubtedly a good bowler, but his tendency to insist that his scops sang his fulsome praises in extended alliterative verse every time he took a wicket was rightly regarded as time-wasting.