Romans invented Cricket!

Jul 2014
world
True enough. Vortigern was a dreadful player and why Gloucestershire kept him as their opener for so long is a complete mystery. Something to do with Rowena and the selectors, I'll be bound.

Hengest was undoubtedly a good bowler, but his tendency to insist that his scops sang his fulsome praises in extended alliterative verse every time he took a wicket was rightly regarded as time-wasting.
Let us not forget Boycottus. He was the original wall.

Sep 2015
England
Let us not forget Boycottus. He was the original wall.
Boycottus advocated hitting through the ball. But would hazard a guess this was not the same as the much favoured 'sling-shot', as exemplified by ex.gladiator Aeun Bothamius; Kevinius 'Caesar' Peterbatius; and Don 'Augustus' Bradmandisium!

Why was Shane Oracle a true household name ?!

Jul 2014
world
Boycottus advocated hitting through the ball. But would hazard a guess this was not the same as the much favoured 'sling-shot', as exemplified by ex.gladiator Aeun Bothamius; Kevinius 'Caesar' Peterbatius; and Don 'Augustus' Bradmandisium!

Why was Shane Oracle a true household name ?!
Shane oracles semi regular massacres of helpless saxon 11 were quite legendary. and his eye for ladies very fine legs is deservedly famous.

His mate muralichuckmaster is quite controversial though.

Sep 2015
England
Shane oracles semi regular massacres of helpless saxon 11 were quite legendary. and his eye for ladies very fine legs is deservedly famous.

His mate muralichuckmaster is quite controversial though.
Harsh opinion of Shane. What have you been reading Gaius Brierleyii ?
Not to mention Jiminius Laker.

Jan 2014
Westmorland
Not true. You`ve been reading Nennius` Cricketers Almanac again.
I'll defend it to the hilt! The first editions of Wisden were carved in the Elder Futhark on huge pieces of stone. I'll concede that they were more factually accurate than Nennius, but you could hardly pop them into your pocket as you set off for Headingley.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
We got a popular version of football here .... but probably no where else ' Australian Rules Football' - its weird ; played on an oval, score by kicking , 4 goal posts a side, short sleeves ( ! ) , you can leap, climb, punch run with the ball ... but only so far, then it changes to basketball, you can pass but the ball has to be hit with your fist in an underarm , and little men in white coats with little flags performing strange body postures run around on the side .... mhe .

View attachment 16079

BUT

Indigenous influence on AFL 'confirmed' by historical transcripts

Very recently there has bee a new influence in the game , and its certainly looking a lot better . :)

View attachment 16080
We Australians - probably due to our propensity to be convicts ( = convicted criminal stock) - stole every rule from every game known to man (and/or woman) that was ever played, cut and pasted and deleted, and added a few things, and somehow or other created the most Democratic (and sublime) game in existence. (It was definitely spontaneous, unplanned and by pure chance [or by God’s subtle inspiration], which is proof IMO that all the best games are created largely by accident and boredom and fueled by pure exhuberance and licit and illicit liquids [and possibly Holy spirit too!]).

Anyhow....

The Romans - as clearly and unarguably proven beyond any doubt in the first post here - (at least, according to Australian standards of research) - invented cricket. Case closed.

Last edited:

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
It is not a serious post Caldrail. Btw I dont agree with you as crciket being a embarrasing game. It is a sublime game. A game where brain and heart is needed.
I wasn't making an entirely serious answer. However, the picture of the coin and its interpretation is a useful exercise. Cricket however is not useful other than to force lower class citizens and colonials into strange ritualistic behaviours for the sake of cultural conformity and the economy of refreshments. I'm in my late fifties now and still don't understand the wretched game :D