Rome's Greatest Enemy

Jun 2010
Fallingwater
From the founding of Rome to the Fall of Constantinople, who were the top 5 foreign INDIVIDUALS who has given the Romans/Byzantines the most grief?

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Just to throw out a possibly under-represented individual, I'm going to nominate the Avar khagan Baian I. He was fairly successful in war and politics, but the effects of his reign echoed down the centuries. He destroyed all his rivals in the Balkans, which forever broke the Roman system of carrot and stick diplomatic defense.

That's such a tough question. This is my list, with number 1 being the greatest:
1. Carthage
2. The Umayyad Caliphate
3. The Seljuk Empire
4. The Goths
5. Sassanid Persia

Honourable mentions for the Cimbri, the Vandals, Venice and the Ottomans.
Whoops, I missed the part where you said 'individuals'.

In no particular order, I'll go with the following:
Hannibal
Shapur I
Gaiseric
Enrico Dandolo
Mehmed the Conqueror

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Whoops, I missed the part where you said 'individuals'.

In no particular order, I'll go with the following:
Hannibal
Shapur I
Gaiseric
Enrico Dandolo
Mehmed the Conqueror
For as much trouble as Shapur I was, Khusro II conquered an awful lot of the empire...

I'd remove Dandolo from the list completely. There was no grand Venetian plan. The Fourth Crusade came from Byzantium being too deeply integrated into western European political networks and a series of local crises of leadership when a frustrated and over-extended army sat too long at the walls of Constantinople.

With regards to Mehmed, do you think that he specifically was responsible for the Fall of Constantinople, or did he just complete the inevitable?
It probably was inevitable. The Middle Ages isn't a strength of mine, but I figured that capturing Constantinople does fit the criteria of the OP's opening post: "top 5 foreign INDIVIDUALS who has given the Romans/Byzantines the most grief". It certainly would have caused a lot of grief haha.

Alp Arslan strikes me as another good candidate.

Similar History Discussions