Rome's Greatest General?

Who was Rome's Greatest General?

• Total voters
Jan 2009
Halifax, NS
Who, in your opinion, was Rome's Greatest General(Note, this does not take into consideration the Eastern empire after the fall of Rome in the west)?

Reactions: Steel of Fury
Jan 2009
Halifax, NS
Right now i'm leaning towards Caesar, but i'm gonna hold off to see if anyone can present some evidence for someone else that could change my mind.

Jan 2009
Halifax, NS
Tough one. I'd say either Caesar, Pompey or Scipio

There's a couple in here that I would consider long shots(Paullus, Marius, Aetius, Corbulo) that I threw in there just to appease someone who might want to vote for them, but really, between the rest of them, there's really no right or wrong answer in my opinion. You can make a legitimate argument for any of them.

And why has no one voted yet? lol

Jun 2008
United Kingdom
Where's Crassus!? :D

Akin to Nick, I'd plump for Julius Caesar or Scipio Africanus, Obviously the former for his genius in Gaul, and the latter for defeating Hannibal. The old maxim "know your enemy" was used to good effect by Scipio at Zama.

Jan 2009
Halifax, NS
Where's Crassus!? :D

Akin to Nick, I'd plump for Julius Caesar or Scipio Africanus, Obviously the former for his genius in Gaul, and the latter for defeating Hannibal. The old maxim "know your enemy" was used to good effect by Scipio at Zama.
When mentioning Scipio, most people only talk about how he defeated Hannibal at Zama, but leave out his brilliant campaign in Spain before that.

Jun 2008
United Kingdom
Myself included, clearly!
Indeed, his undermining of the Carthaginian rule in Iberia was a truly impressive feat. But in all respects, Zama was his magnum opus, if such a phrase can be used in military matters!

Bucephalus

Ad Honorem
Mar 2008
Sacramento, CA
I would propose that Lucius Cornelius Sulla needs to be on this list. He was a protege of Gaius Marius, but ultimately vastly outshone him as a general. He was a rather skilled politician as well. My vote here would be split between Julius Caesar, Scipio Africanus, and Flavius Aetius.

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
The circumference of Pompey's belly seems to me to have been pretty great, his weight too. So I guess he's the greatest by volume.

Last edited: