Roosevelt Interferes in Polish-German Relations 1938-39

Apr 2012
Before the second world war broke out the Polish and German governments were negotiating to reslove territorial disputes which involved the two countries. Instead of being neutral and not taking sides the US president Franklin Roosevelt insisted that the Poles not negotiate and adopt a belligerent attitude. Roosevelt is responsible for fanning the flames of war. If the US had an administration which was genuinely neutral Roosevelt could have gone down in history as a peace broker and world war 2 may even have been avoided. Instead Roosevelt has gone down in history as a warmonger who used foreign conflicts to detract from his domestic policy failures. And what did Poland get for taking Roosevelt's advice? He betrayed them at Yalta giving the whole of that country to Stalin's soviet butchers which resulted in a 45 year communist occupation. www.ihr.org/jhr/v04/v04p135_Weber.html

Peter T Davis

Former Staff
May 2011
New England
Why do you keep linking to this "Institute for Historical Review" website? I do not recognize it as a credible source of information, nor should you.

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
One would have to be rather naive hold your source as credible in any degree. If you knew anything of the Polish government during the period that later became the Polish government in exile, you would know that they were not receptive to advise regarding territorial disputes from any quarter. I would be curious to see some minutes of any diplomatic meetings that would even come close to starting resolution, let alone any correspondence between FDR and the Germans and Poles on the issue. By all means, dazzle me.

Lawnmowerman

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
Why should Roosevelt have remained neutral anyway???? And do you honestly think the Poles would listen to Roosevelt anyway???? Especialy as they had treaties with France and Britain to defend them in the event of an attack.

Hitler was after a blatent land grab, remember what happened to Czechoslovakia!!!!

Lawnmowerman

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
If Roosevelt was truely to be remembered as a peace lover who prevented war he should've sided with France and the UK and gaurenteed Polands independance.

Apr 2010
Slovakia
I would like to remind you that Brits and French were "neutral" at the Munich Conference and surprisingly neither Daladier nor Chamberlain went down the history as peace brokers. You should perhaps read more about events which led to WWII. You may start with reading Mein Kampf for example.

Apr 2011
Sarmatia
FDR was not able to do anything even if he wanted. It was european game with only European players. Poland had choice, to ally with Germany or to fight against Germany.

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
One would have to be rather naive hold your source as credible in any degree. If you knew anything of the Polish government during the period that later became the Polish government in exile, you would know that they were not receptive to advise regarding territorial disputes from any quarter. I would be curious to see some minutes of any diplomatic meetings that would even come close to starting resolution, let alone any correspondence between FDR and the Germans and Poles on the issue. By all means, dazzle me.
Agreed. One need only read 3 or 4 sentences in the cited source to realize that it is inaccurate and agenda-driven.