Royal cadet branches that outshone the main royal branch?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which royal cadet branches were there that outshone the main royal branch? Personally, I could think of the Valois and Bourbons both outshining the original Capetians in terms of their history and legacy. Also, the current House of Bourbon actually descends from a cadet branch of the original House of Bourbon--the original House of Bourbon died out in the early 16th century--after which point the cadet Bourbon-Vendome branch outshone it and acquired the French crown in 1589.

Also, the Savoy-Carignano branch outshone the original House of Savoy due to its role in the unification of Italy and the subsequent rise of Fascism in Italy.

Anyway, what other cases of this have there been?

Reactions: Frank81

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If we're including illegitimate cadet branches here, we might as well include the House of Aviz for Portugal and the House of Trastamara for Spain. Both of these were illegitimate cadet branches under whom their countries arguably achieved more than it did under the main branches of the relevant dynasties. Of course, both of these royal houses died out in the 1500s--unlike the royal houses in my original post here.

Feb 2019
Serbia
House of Hannover (Cadet branch.) and the House of Welf (Original dynasty.). I don't know too much detail on the Welfs beyond a few monarchs but the Hannoverians went from ruling a small duchy to being rulers of the British Empire, producing rulers such as George III and Victoria as well as some notable non-rulers such as Prince Frederick, Duke of York.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
House of Hannover (Cadet branch.) and the House of Welf (Original dynasty.). I don't know too much detail on the Welfs beyond a few monarchs but the Hannoverians went from ruling a small duchy to being rulers of the British Empire, producing rulers such as George III and Victoria as well as some notable non-rulers such as Prince Frederick, Duke of York.
Excellent example!

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The Nemanjić dynasty pretty much left the Vukanovići in the dirt.

Reactions: Futurist

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
What are they notable for?
Restoring the strength of the Serb state, partially unifying all Serb lands and expanding Serbia to its largest ever extent etc. They were also big patrons of the Orthodox Church who venerates them as saints and given that the Church was the most influential Serb organization during Ottoman times, the myths about the Nemanjići spread among the Serbs and they are today the most celebrated Serb dynasty.