Royal cadet branches that outshone the main royal branch?

Jun 2017
maine
:crying:
I don't know what you are talking about re the Bernadotte dynasty which has only reigned for 201 years.

The first Bernadotte was Charles XIV John, a totally unrelated to royalty marshal of France who was adopted by King Charles XIII. Charles XIV John's son was Oscar I, whose oldest son Charles XV was survived only by a daughter, and so his younger brother Oscar II became king. Oscar II's oldest son became King Gustaf V whose oldest son became King Gustav VI Adolf whose oldest son died before him but left an oldest son who became the present King Carl XVI Gustaf. Oscar Ii is the only Bernadotte king of Sweden who was a member of a cadet branch.

Possibly you were thinking about earlier Swedish dynasties.
This is what I meant. The senior line ended with barons in France (there was an even more senior French line that was never ennobled--I think). I know who Bernadotte was; he was a younger son of his biological father. His older brother's line continued in France until about fifty years ago.

Jun 2017
maine
I don't know what you are talking about re the Bernadotte dynasty which has only reigned for 201 years.

The first Bernadotte was Charles XIV John, a totally unrelated to royalty marshal of France who was adopted by King Charles XIII. Charles XIV John's son was Oscar I, whose oldest son Charles XV was survived only by a daughter, and so his younger brother Oscar II became king. Oscar II's oldest son became King Gustaf V whose oldest son became King Gustav VI Adolf whose oldest son died before him but left an oldest son who became the present King Carl XVI Gustaf. Oscar Ii is the only Bernadotte king of Sweden who was a member of a cadet branch.

This is the dynasty I meant. King Karl Johan (Bernadotte) was the younger son of his biological father. The descendants of the older brother, Baron Jean Evarste Bernadotte died out about fifty years ago in France

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
The house of Bernadotte in Sweden. The senior lines either dwindled away or returned to the general population.
:crying:

This is what I meant. The senior line ended with barons in France (there was an even more senior French line that was never ennobled--I think). I know who Bernadotte was; he was a younger son of his biological father. His older brother's line continued in France until about fifty years ago.
This is the dynasty I meant. King Karl Johan (Bernadotte) was the younger son of his biological father. The descendants of the older brother, Baron Jean Evarste Bernadotte died out about fifty years ago in France
Your answers are not logical. The question is about cadet branches of royal dynasties.

If the original question asked for cadet branches of families that outshone the senior lines, your answers would be correct.

But since the original question asked for cadet branches of Royal families and dynasties that outshone the senior lines, the procedure to answer is to find a case where:

1. a Royal dynasty is established.

2. at a later time, a cadet branch of that royal dynasty is established.

3. at a still later time, that cadet branch becomes more powerful, famous, or illustrious than the senior branch of the royal family or dynasty.

Marshal of France Jean Bernadotte had absolutely no hereditary claim to the Swedish throne until he was adopted by King Charles XIII and the Swedish parliament declared him to be the crown prince, and the brothers and cousins of Marshal Jean Bernadotte didn't acquire any part of his claim to the Swedish throne.

The Bernadottes in France were members of the Bernadotte family, not members of the Bernadotte dynasty of Sweden. The Bernadottes in Sweden were the only branch of the Bernadotte family that was royalty. The Bernadottes in Sweden were the only members of the Bernadotte family to be members of the Bernadotte dynasty, so they were all of the Bernadotte dynasty, and not a cadet branch of the Bernadotte dynasty. Counting the French members of the Bernadotte family as members of the Bernadotte dynasty is inaccurate.

That is why I couldn't understand what you meant by your answer. It never occurred to me that any one would ever count an older brother of Marshal of France Jean Bernadotte as a member of a royal family or dynasty.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

The first Bernadotte King had at least one older brother, no?

Similar History Discussions