Royal french ancestry of Hillary Clinton

Feb 2016
France
hello, I've read that Hillary Clinton was a distant cousin of her opponent Donal Trump via John of Gaunt, grandson of Isabella of France th"she-wolf" of France.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton revealed to be distant cousins | Daily Mail Online

But I also recently learn that the may be a descendant of her brother the french king Louis X the Quarreler. (The Force...hum no the Monarchy is strong in this one...XD )

Hollande distantly related to Hillary Clinton, claims book - The Local

I don't know the line of descent from this king does anyone has information about it?? Thanks!

Jun 2015
UK
Isabella was the daughter of the King of France, and thus this is enough for descent. Though many English nobility or gentry of that late medieval and early modern period were descended from the Plantagenets.

Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when one looks that far back in royal bloodlines, most people become distant cousins of each other. All of America's presidents can trace descent from King John.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
I was initially shocked when it was revealed that Princess Diana was the descendant of Charles II, but now it is an open knowledge!

beorna

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
-
I was initially shocked when it was revealed that Princess Diana was the descendant of Charles II, but now it is an open knowledge!
Diana was not the daughter of the milkman, but of the earl of Spencer. The family can trace back their origins to the 15th century and falsly even to the medieval Despencer. So it is not really surprising, that she has royal ancestors. But e.g. her grandfather was not a descendent of Charles II:

Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Is Bill Clinton descended in some way from Geoffrey de Clinton, the chamberlain and treasurer of Henry I?

Now that I think about it, are all English surnames that end in "-ton" of Anglo-Norman origin? Examples would be Clinton, Washington, Hamilton, Carleton, etc.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Is Bill Clinton descended in some way from Geoffrey de Clinton, the chamberlain and treasurer of Henry I?

Now that I think about it, are all English surnames that end in "-ton" of Anglo-Norman origin? Examples would be Clinton, Washington, Hamilton, Carleton, etc.
Washington wasn't the original surname of Washington's family.

He was descended from a Norman noble named William fitz Patrick de Hertburn, who began to go by William de Wessyngton after acquiring land (named Wessyngton) from the Bishop of Durham. Over time de Wessyngton was Anglicized to Washington and the old de Hertburn surname was no longer used.

The place name Wessyngton is Saxon in origin, although the Washington family was Norman.

Ton or Tun in English place names just meant estate or homestead. The word town has similar origins. It has a Germanic origin (Saxon) rather than French or Latin.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Washington wasn't the original surname of Washington's family.

He was descended from a Norman noble named William fitz Patrick de Hertburn, who began to go by William de Wessyngton after acquiring land (named Wessyngton) from the Bishop of Durham. Over time de Wessyngton was Anglicized to Washington and the old de Hertburn surname was no longer used.

The place name Wessyngton is Saxon in origin, although the Washington family was Norman.

Ton or Tun in English place names just meant estate or homestead. The word town has similar origins. It has Germanic (Saxon) origins.
Thanks for the info.

As a general rule, is it fair to say that someone with an ancestor who had "de" in his surname (such as "de Clinton") has Norman ancestry? This was an Old French preposition.

Similar History Discussions