Royal Navy Admirals other than Nelson during Revolutionary-Napoleonic Wars 1793-1815

Apr 2014
Istanbul Turkey
Who were other notable and sucessful Royal Navy admirals other than Nelson between 1793-1815 during French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars : I only know a few , Sir Sidney Smith , Cuthbert Collingwood , Sir John Duckworth , Commodore Thomas Cochrane , Sir Robert Calder , James Saumarez , Edward Pellew.

Is there anyone I have missed ? Which one was better among his peers ?

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
Who were other notable and sucessful Royal Navy admirals other than Nelson between 1793-1815 during French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars : I only know a few , Sir Sidney Smith , Cuthbert Collingwood , Sir John Duckworth , Commodore Thomas Cochrane , Sir Robert Calder , James Saumarez , Edward Pellew.

Is there anyone I have missed ? Which one was better among his peers ?
Samuel Hood. Definitely up there with Nelson as an administrator

William Bligh - Although a tarnished reputation was and exceptional sailor. And brave as they come.

Apr 2014
Istanbul Turkey
There is also Admiral Adam Duncan who defeated Dutch Navy under French Helvanic command in 1797 at Battle of Campertown right after Nore mutinies , ended threat of invasion of Ireland for good and restored reputation of Royal Navy after mutinies

Oct 2015
Virginia
There were:
Richard Howe (commanded at the battle of the "First of June" 1794)
Samuel Hood (commanded Med Fleet at Toulon 1794)
John Jervis (battle of St Vincent 1797)
Adam Duncan (battle of Campbertown 1797)
James Gambier (Copenhagen(ii) 1807, Basque Roads 1809)
George Kieth Elphinstone
William Cornwallis
Andrew Mitchell
Robert Calder
Albemarle Bertie
Peter Rainier

There were others, but none could match Nelson.

Apr 2014
Istanbul Turkey
I am a little suprised that after ecole and example of Nelson , several other highly sucessful Royal Navy officers following his example , did not create a myth as striking as Nelson himself , Cochrane maybe but others ? Adam Duncan restored image and self confidence of Royal Navy after one striking victory over Dutch in Campertown and prevented French landings on Ireland. Duckworth won a striking victory against French raiding squadron off Santa Domingo five months after Trafalgar , saving British colonies in Caribbean (and sugar income which was the spine of British economy) But no one knows them.

Feb 2019
Serbia
I am a little suprised that after ecole and example of Nelson , several other highly sucessful Royal Navy officers following his example , did not create a myth as striking as Nelson himself , Cochrane maybe but others ? Adam Duncan restored image and self confidence of Royal Navy after one striking victory over Dutch in Campertown and prevented French landings on Ireland. Duckworth won a striking victory against French raiding squadron off Santa Domingo five months after Trafalgar , saving British colonies in Caribbean (and sugar income which was the spine of British economy) But no one knows them.
The reason for this is because Nelson created a sort of a myth around him. Propaganda and future historians after 1805 made him out to be like a sort of god. For the public it was and still is much easier to digest a narrative centered on 1 figure and 1 decisive battle. In truth while his brilliance and victories were unmatched he is often overrated and other equally brilliant figures are forgotten. I would say that Jervis was a better administrator than Nelson while Keith and Sydney Smith were far better at carrying out the blockade of France, something which Nelson butchered in 1805 and at organising fleets. Peter Rainer and Collingwood knew their terrain far better, Rainer knew the Indian Ocean extremely well and was vital for the early British success while Collingwood knew the Mediterranean inside and out, when his health was declining and he was slowly getting depressed due to not seeing his family and his home in years he knew his time was over and requested to retire so he can see his family before he died. The Admiralty didn't let him because no one could match his knowledge and experience in the Mediterranean. Nelson was still brilliant however he wasn't a god of war he is often made out to be. Trafalgar is romanticised as a legendary heroic victory which killed the French navy. This is a lie, it did weaken the French navy considerably but the naval war intesified and it was far from over.

Similar History Discussions