Royal Navy under Charles II and James II

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
Even though the political, social, and religious aspects of the reigns of Charles II and James II are my expertise, it just occurred to me that I know absolutely nothing about England's navy from 1660-1689. I don't know what exactly to ask for, but I would be interested on learning just about anything; the sorts of ships, weaponry, tactics, uniforms, living conditions, just about anything. Although I know next to nothing about it, naval history has always been interesting to me. It's just such an intimidating topic that I've been too scared to even touch it, haha. Any general information is welcome, as well as book/journal recommendations.

Thank you very much!

DoY

Mar 2019
Kansas
Even though the political, social, and religious aspects of the reigns of Charles II and James II are my expertise, it just occurred to me that I know absolutely nothing about England's navy from 1660-1689. I don't know what exactly to ask for, but I would be interested on learning just about anything; the sorts of ships, weaponry, tactics, uniforms, living conditions, just about anything. Although I know next to nothing about it, naval history has always been interesting to me. It's just such an intimidating topic that I've been too scared to even touch it, haha. Any general information is welcome, as well as book/journal recommendations.

Thank you very much!

DoY
Well it is a massive subject, as you have probably realized. Here is a good documentary that would be a good primer for general information

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Read Philip Aubrey's "The Defeat of James Stuart's Armada - 1692". It covers everything you've asked about and is very engaging.

Reactions: Duchess of York