Royal Navy under Charles II and James II

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the indispensable text is "the diary of Samuel Pepy's"
beside the light it shine on London life ( including the great plague and the fire )
it give invaluable details on the political and cultural moments
He witnessed the end of the commonwealth , the Restoration , the reign of Charles II and James II
rising through the secretary ranks , he became the chief officer of state of the Navy
the Nore disaster and the seven days battle are told from the point of view of the highest level of the court

while a good protestant , he was faithful to James which he seems to have liked as a leader
after William accession , he set the Navy business in order and offered his resignation
praised by all for his management and honesty

he is often called the father of the Royal Navy , much details in his diary are concerned with the fleet

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The Dutch lost the first war, won the second, narrowly won the third and lost the fourth
That contradicts the source I posted . The actual phrases used were: "the treaty favored..." so there might be some disagreement about who the treaties favored. Please post your source. The scope of the thread as per the OP does not include the 4th war which occurred over a century later.

Last edited:

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
That contradicts the source I posted . The actual phrases used were: "the treaty favored..." so there might be some disagreement about who the treaties favored. Please post your source. The scope of the thread as per the OP does not include the 4th war which occurred over a century later.

The treaty of Westminster obviously favoured the English. That is an English victory. When the Dutch broke the naval blockade, they were crushed in the final battle of the war, lost more ships and men during the course of the war, lost a sizeable part of their merchant fleet, and although not completely broken, were tired of the war.

The treaty didn''t resolve the issues, but the Commonwealth had the upper hand.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I went back to my source and found I misread it. The First Anglo Dutch war was indeed won by the English. It's not clear the Dutch won the 3rd war to me but it did break up the Anglo-French alliance which was so dangerous to the Netherlands.

BTW the (post 16) narrator incorrectly uses "British" instead of English. This was before the Act of Union.