Royalty members who ended up living like common people

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
What are some examples of this in history? I'm especially interested in examples where they were forced to do so, as in a princess who was forced to live like a peasant, so to say.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 2010
I heard a story that after the Russian revolution a Russian prince wandered Europe as a beggar with no money. After spending 2 years in abject poverty he suddenly remembered the massive mansion he owned in Spain!!!! *

Citation needed.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Some that come to mind--

--Mary Stuart Queen of Scots--formerly queen of France and, of course, of Scotland

--Louis XVI of France and his wife Marie Antoinette (although they did not live too longer after having been deposed)

--Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany

--Edward VIII of the UK.

Last edited:
May 2016
Vatican occupied America
Did he go back to his royal lifestyle after a short while? If so, then I guess it would be a type of adventure he wanted to experience.
He more commonly known as the Buddha ;) He founded a religion of monks who had to beg for their food and had to eat anything placed in their begging bowls. There are still tall tales in Buddhism of monks eating: razor blades; nails and broken glass without harm. These tales are exactly the same as the Catholic ones that if one bites into the host as communion it will bleed. When a Catholic I tested that claim by biting and chewing the communion wafer, they don't bleed and God does not strike one dead with a thunderbolt ;)

The early Buddhist monks were very much like the early Franciscans, but both of them became standard issue monks living in great luxury compared to the laity.

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Some that come to mind--

--Mary Stuart Queen of Scots--formerly queen of France and, of course, of Scotland

--Louis XVI of France and his wife Marie Antoinette (although they did not live too longer after having been deposed)

--Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany

--Edward VIII of the UK.
None of these lived 'like common people', as the OP was searching for.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
I agree with Moros Mr Vagamundo-none of those people you cited 'lived remoterly like ordinary people at alll.
Even EdwardVIII and his Baltimoreore babe Walliis Simpson lived in the lucrative sinecure that the Governship of the Bahamas was in 1940 and Wallis Simpson, when she died lefr a collection of jewels way beyond the means of any 'common people '
What a bizarre list you have produced.

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Nicholas the Second and family lived commonly. They farmed potatoes and turnips for a bit, before transferred to another prison, then another prison, and eventually a basement.

Similar History Discussions