Rudolf Hess in Spandau

Jan 2014
Washington State
A little side note on Hess. I knew the Brits who had guard duty at Spandau. On of them got in trouble while guarding him. Hess asked my friend for a cigarette, he was given one. After shift change Hess showed to the watch officer. I guess they were not to speak to him. Tells you a little about Hess.

Nov 2012
Pax juxta probitatem
Hi QUESTOR . Our Brooke Barracks, Berlin was across the road from Spandau prison. Spandau was demolished after Hess, Allied Prisoner No. 7, died on 17 August 1987 in the summerhouse. They built a new Supermarket and NAAFI which we labelled "Hessco's". I once owned a book purchased around 1989 " Spandau: The Last of the Hitler Gang", with a picture of the Nuremburg defendants on the front cover. I wish I'd kept it. It had a lot of stories about what went on inside Spandau Jail, visits, inmates letters, and so on. At that time there were more primary sources and live anecdotes knocking around. Maybe a lot of this post WW2 stuff and Spandau has lost a lot of that evidence. I don't know. A mate remembered Hess turning up at Berlin British Military Hospital for treatment, and on the day he died.

Royal Military Police investigation reports into the death of Rudolf Hess, Allied Prisoner No 7 in Spandau Prison, Berlin, 1987

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHJRFSTSJOE]Rudolf Hess in Glasgow 1941 - Official Newsreel - YouTube[/ame]

Guarding Hitler's Deputy Rudolph Hess (by Bill Horton) Guarding Hitler's Deputy | Grace Communion International

Rudolf Hess studies a poster of the moon in Spandau prison.

Investigation Photographs

Spandau Prison

Last edited:
Jan 2014
Washington State
I got to see him once in the exercise yard. A British Warrant Officer took me up on top of the building across the street. It might have been your building!

Nov 2012
Pax juxta probitatem
Probably was our building. We used to spot him on his garden walks. :) Berlin Infantry Brigade

We guarded the German prisoners in Spandau Prison. It was actually pretty boring, you occasionally saw the prisoners walking in the garden. Hess was always by himself – he must have fallen out with people perhaps… perhaps he was using the wrong aftershave… but he seemed to be on his own. In the platoon at that time I was a Corporal and we would go down checking up on your soldiers, making sure they were alright, awake and not doing anything silly. There was a special guard force that looked after the prisoners and that was from all the Allied Nations.
Berlin - Cold War soldiering

Nov 2012
Pax juxta probitatem
There you go herrnimrod: Spandau Prison

Pte Stephen Suchocka 1st Bn D.E.R.R. interviewed in 1973 by the Newbury Weekly News stated........
"No 3 post is right opposite his quarters and he comes out every morning and afternoon for about one to two hours. He walks round and round, wearing paths in the grass, but not sticking to the same route. He will be walking around and then suddenly will break into a high goose-step. Sometimes he just stands below the guard post and stares up at the guard. It drives you mad. We try to ignore him but it is hard. He looks up as if he is wondering what we are doing there. HESS is remarkably fit for his age 79, and upright. His deep-set eyes make his stare seem particularly penetrating."

Private Brian Vasey 1st Bn D.E.R.R. who was also interviewed at the same time stated.....
"sometimes he pulls a handkerchief containing bread from his pocket and feeds the birds. we have been warned not to have contact with HESS or give him cigarettes, because in the past he has immediately gone to the warder and reported them for breach of rules, I think I will always remember the days I guarded HESS. Its not something you are likely to forget"

Jan 2014
Washington State
Was there a building near there that used to be a bank? Seemed we went up there also. They guys that had to watch over him( I think it was a Scottish Unit) said he would watch every move you made. He would listen and knew procedures very well. He tried to talk to a couple of the guys like he wanted to be friends. Fortunately the others I talked to had been warned of him. I guess his little games were all he had to occupy him.

Similar History Discussions