Rudolf Hess in Spandau

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
An unrepentant Nazi in post war Berlin? I'm shocked.

-but not as initially shocked as when I learned that Albert Speer had remained a true Nazi. He had just outsmarted the allies running the Nuremberg trials. I've always been somewhat surprised that he was the only one smart enough to do so. He wasn't the only one with no blood on his hands, so to speak..

Had a Brit friend who lived in Germany for a bit in the 1980's. Her observation was that the Germans around here were exceedingly law abiding, and loved reporting their neighbours to the authorities. I suspect that may have been a local thing
Well it was a hurried marriage, and I did not meet her parents until we were married. They lived in Hanau. Her father died not long after the marriage, and I never really had a chance to talk to him. He was captured in North Africa and spent the war years in a POW camp in Egypt. He belonged to the NPD party after the war.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yes, I always thought Goring was pretty smart. I read that he expected to be treated as a statesman, not a criminal. That's pretty deluded thinking, perhaps understandable because of his morphia addiction. Perhaps he simply judged the allies.

OF course Hess had' blood on his hands'; he was deputy Fuhrer and had been with Hitler from the beginning. The Nazis were committing political murders from at least the time Hitler became Chancellor. Perhaps the most visible, brutal example of early Nazi behaviour was was the Night Of The Long Knives in 1934. Hess would have had full knowledge and have been personally involved, as was Hitler.
Hess would have been fully aware of what was going up to his flight to England.in 1941.

He was tried and convicted at the Nuremberg War crimes trials, and sentenced to life imprisonment. He was a committed Nazi, one of the most powerful people in the third Reich, and fanatically dedicated to Hitler . He was as guilty as sin, and blood soaked,

" The court deliberated for nearly two months before passing judgement on 30 September, with the defendants being individually sentenced on 1 October. Hess was found guilty on two counts: crimes against peace (planning and preparing a war of aggression), and conspiracy with other German leaders to commit crimes"

Rudolf Hess - Wikipedia

he Night of the Long Knives (German:
Nacht der langen Messer (help·info)), or the Röhm Purge, also called Operation Hummingbird (German: Unternehmen Kolibri) was a purge that took place in Nazi Germany from June 30 to July 2, 1934, when Adolf Hitler, urged on by Hermann Göring and Heinrich Himmler, carried out a series of political extrajudicial executions intended to consolidate his hold on power in Germany, as well as to alleviate the concerns of the German military about the role of Ernst Röhm and the Sturmabteilung (SA), the Nazis' own mass paramilitary organization. Nazi propaganda presented the murders as a preventive measure against an alleged imminent coup by the SA under Röhm - the so-called Röhm putsch. he Night of the Long Knives (German:
Nacht der langen Messer (help·info)), or the Röhm Purge, also called Operation Hummingbird (German: Unternehmen Kolibri) was a purge that took place in Nazi Germany from June 30 to July 2, 1934, when Adolf Hitler, urged on by Hermann Göring and Heinrich Himmler, carried out a series of political extrajudicial executions intended to consolidate his hold on power in Germany, as well as to alleviate the concerns of the German military about the role of Ernst Röhm and the Sturmabteilung (SA), the Nazis' own mass paramilitary organization. Nazi propaganda presented the murders as a preventive measure against an alleged imminent coup by the SA under Röhm - the so-called Röhm putsch.

Night of the Long Knives - Wikipedia

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Well it was a hurried marriage, and I did not meet her parents until we were married. They lived in Hanau. Her father died not long after the marriage, and I never really had a chance to talk to him. He was captured in North Africa and spent the war years in a POW camp in Egypt. He belonged to the NPD party after the war.

Mate, please don't apologise. I wasn't criticising you. Sounds like you had the great misfortune to marry a woman with whom you were in love.---I say 'misfortune' because the only way to go is down. Of course I'm assuming, apologies if I have misunderstood.

I also met the love of my life in 1967, here in Adelaide.. We did not get married, thank the gods! --I ran into her 30 yeas later, spent enough time with her to realise a marriage would have been a disaster.

Feb 2011
Scotland
I used to know a chap who had been in the army in the Eighties and was one of Hess' guards in Spandau.

He talked about the taking in turns of the four nations guarding him; that Hess was an extremely unpleasant man- and that they weren't allowed to talk to him (though how you would know he was unpleasant if you never talked to him I don't know- maybe he shouted his views a lot?)

Similar History Discussions